Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Blink of an Eye

So today was a complete case study in how a day can start out one way and do a complete 180 just like that. Hubby woke up with a migraine and called in sick to work. That meant I didn't have to get my daughter up and saved me some precious time. I wanted to get right out the door, so I scooted N right off. Instead of eating at home, I treated N to some hot chocolate and a scone from a little coffee stand I frequent. Ironically, I can't stand coffee so I too had hot chocolate and a blueberry muffin. We sat outside his school and ate our breakfast. It was a fun way to start the day. I was worried about Kevin, but getting the extra time to hang out with N just made us both really happy. I got to work in a really good mood and earlier than usual for a change. Some of my coworker noticed how sunny my mood was and one even commented about "the extra spring in my step" as they called it...:) I had that song by The Brady Bunch, "Sunshine Day", stuck in my head all morning.

Then, I got a call from N's teacher at lunchtime. His school suspected he had pink eye and he needed to be picked up. They also said he couldn't return until he had a doctor's note. So after making a series of phone calls, I finally arranged to have my babysitter pick him up and take him home (Kevin had no carseats). I tried to focus on teaching literacy to small groups and the formal observation being done by my principal. I suddenly couldn't concentrate and struggled for the remainder of the afternoon. I left right after school and took N to the doctor. Then I ran some errands and returned to the school to make arrangements for a sub. I realized that I was ill-prepared for one, so I had some catch up to do, so N and I were there for quite some time. Then we needed groceries, so we had to go to the store. Luckily, N was keeping up his energy just fine, but was hungry. We grabbed something from the deli and made it home just in time for American Idol. I gave him his eyedrops to treat the infection, but he had a tough time with it. He's very sensitive to any sort of pain and his eyes were really bothering him. I let the kids stay up a little bit to watch TV and then tucked 'em both in. K wasn't feeling too good either, so I'm glad I'll be home to take care of them both tomorrow. Now I'm sitting here watching The Karate Kid and updating my blog. It was certainly a long day's journey into night...

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

Tag, you're it! Visit my blog for details:)