Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Time to Dance

So unless you've been living under a rock, you've most likely seen or at least heard about the now famous JK Wedding Entrance that's become hugely popular on youtube. It started off innocently enough as a young couple deciding to spice up their church wedding. Their entire bridal party danced their way down the aisle to Chris Brown's song "Forever." On a sidebar, think what you want about him, but it's an awesome song and the same one from the doublemint commercial that I couldn't get enough of awhile back...but I digress. So they videotaped this fabulous entrance and broadcasted it on youtube for all to see. I'm sure they had no inkling that it would explode into a monster hit. The Today show invited them to recreate their dance live in downtown New York City and so they did.


I have to admit that I've watched it several times already because it just has such an uplifting vibe and puts me in a good mood. You can't help but smile as you watch it. There have been some detractors that feel it was in poor taste and would've been better suited at the reception instead of in a church setting. These party poopers remind me a lot of the small town struggle in Footloose when the kids were trying to hold their senior prom. The town elders felt dancing was the devil's work, but then Ren reads a passage straight from the bible that supports their desire to express their joy through dancing.


"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under Heaven ... A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance." (Eccl. 3:1,4)


For my own wedding, I wanted to do something against the grain, however small. My hubby and I opted to forgo traditional wedding music and chose a compilation of music from various artists including The Corrs, Bryan Adams, and Enya. In hindsight, I laugh a bit at how conservative even those choices were considering the guy who made our wedding CD tried to get me to use "Who Let the Dogs Out" for the groomsmen to enter to. Okay, that would've been a little much even for me. Weddings are a celebration of two people in love, so I applaud Jill and Kevin for their courage to be themselves and appreciate the simple joy they brought to their special day.

No comments: