Sunday, November 29, 2009

Family, Friends, Food, and Fun

What a busy holiday season it has been so far! My week began with more parent conferences to wrap up and some fun holiday activities with my students. Tuesday night was spent at my daughter's Thanksgiving concert at her school. The kinders, 1st, and 2nd graders performed a myriad of songs and readings that ranged from folk songs, poems, to classic favorites. K was excited for us to see her sing with all of her classmates. She seemed a little overwhelmed by all of the people there, but participated in most of the songs. A few of my favorites were "Albuquerque Turkey" and "Rockin Robin." I was very impressed with the turnout of families there to support the kids. DH ended up having to stay home to take care N, who was recovering from a nasty virus. My MIL was able to attend though, so K really loved having her there with us.

Wednesday was a very relaxing day overall since I just let my students finish up some poetry and craft projects they had started the day before. I sat down and colored with them, which they loved! It has been a very stressful at work lately, so it felt good to just take a step back and appreciate some quality time with my students. I am hopeful that things will begin to calm down now. You can probably imagine what a welcome break the four-day weekend was. On Wednesday night, I had to make Costco run for a veggie tray, appetizers, and dinner rolls to take over to my MIL's house on Thursday. Traffic was insane!


On Thanksgiving, we spent a quiet morning at home just watching portions of Macy's parade and eating some cereal. Then we all got cleaned up and headed over to my MIL's home for the big feast. DH's sister, her husband, and their two little boys were also there. It was a pretty low-key day with lots of yummy food. All the Thanksgiving staples were on the table such as a golden brown turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, twice baked potatoes, and dinner rolls. We also ate a lot of appetizers beforehand, so it was a surprise we had any room left for dessert. There was blackberry orange cobbler, pumpkin pie, and vanilla ice cream to cleanse the palatte. The kids played together and I got my baby fix by watching little 7-month old Kellan, while DH helped his mom and sister clean up in the kitchen (quite the sight to behold). If you know my in-law's family history at all, you know just how far they have come in the last few years alone. Suffice it say, we've been building bridges over troubled waters and it seems that bygones can finally be bygones.


We were all pretty tired and turned in early. My brother-in-law told us that there is a chemical in turkey (called Triptafen) that makes you sleepy. Well, I don't know anything about the chemistry of birds, but it was a good thing we did go to bed. The kids and I got up and braved the crowds of Black Friday. Actually, I've learned where to go and places to avoid from years past. Since I began this new tradition for us two years ago, just N and I have made the shopping excursion. This year, K got to finally come along. I would prefer to go alone to get more done, but the kids literally BEG to go. DH had to work this year, so he couldn't stay home with one of them. Thus, they both lucked out.


We slept in until 5am (an hour and a half later than previous years) and were out the door by 6am. Fred Meyers is always our first stop and is fairly close to home. They get busy like everyone else, but the crowds aren't too crazy and they also serve apple juice and doughnuts for their customers. Now that is shopping done in style! Their bargains were unreal, so I was able to get most of my shopping done in one place, always a bonus! We stopped for some Dutch Bros. hot chocolate and then drove clear across the river to the southeast end of Portland to meet up with DH for lunch. He treated us to some burgers at Red Robin. After a window-shopping trip to Toys 'R Us, the kids were getting tired. I wished I couldn've bought their presents right there to take advantage of the sales (but couldn't with the kids right there to see), I took mental notes instead. We made a quick grocery stop and then called it a day.


We spent Saturday over at the home of some good friends. My friend, R and I played some cards and chatted, while the guys tinkered with and fretted over their computers. I got to hold her now almost 3 week old baby girl again, so that was extra sweet. When I changed her diaper, I was happy that it was like riding a bike, second nature even though it's been a few years since I've done it. Though of course she had do her business right in the middle, but I caught most of it. The mess wasn't too bad, but it was hilarious that she just kept piddling as I would almost have her cleaned up. Too cute.


Now that it is Sunday, I am feeling more refreshed. It's hard to believe the past four days flew by. K and I spent the afternoon taking down our autumn decorations and put up our Christmas ones. Next wekk, we will go get our tree. We have a lot of activities coming up that will keep us busy in these final weeks of 2009. There has been much to be thankful for and many more things to look forward to. This truly is the most wonderful time of the year.
As Ralph Waldo Emerson so eloquently wrote:
For flowers that bloom at our feet;
For tender grass so fresh, so sweet;
For song of bird, and hum of bee;
For all things fair we hear or see;
Father in heaven, we thank thee!

Many happy blessings to everyone!

K at her concert


All the 1st and 2nd graders singing



A family feast

Grandma J and N



My little turkey and me

Cleaning the kitchen together

DH and N
(I really like this one of them)



N and K with two of their cousins



N helping me entertain this not-so-little bundle of joy



K helping her cousin read

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

Looks like a good time on Thanksgiving and it would seem family unity is becoming more common among the in-laws, which is good!

I really wish I lived closer so I could attend your kiddos' school stuff. I bet K was so adorable singing.