Friday, April 10, 2009

Babbling Brook Strikes Again

The title is the name of a chatty character I once played in a middle school play, so hence the title of this blog as it will full of random ramblings. It is 10pm after a long week, so I do not claim to be completely coherent. This has been an interesting week. It began like any other, but a few minor adjustments were made. Everyday at work kept me super busy. It is testing season again, so I've been working my way through the Dynamic Reading Assessments of 50 students (in addition to all other teaching responsibilities). I also found out that our department lead teacher has decided to accept a job teaching English abroad in Japan. I wish her well and think it is a wonderful opportunity. I do worry that our program will sorely miss her presence.

The good news is that with all the things I've been dealing with at work, I finally decided to made a decision on my next course of action regarding school. I have to take some additional graduate courses anyway to renew my teaching license, so I've decided to go for my reading endorsement. It will be a lot of work, but it should help me in my efforts to better understand how to effectively teach reading and will help in getting back to a district position in the future (I hope!)

As for the homefront, I have been battling chronic fatigue this past week. I normally stay up until 11:00 on average, but this week I've been to bed between 9-10pm...for me that is really good. It's been a mentally and physically exhausting few weeks, and my guess is that it's just all caught up with me. We finally got rid of the cruddy colds at least. I know it seems wierd to blog about getting a good night's sleep for once. Why is that strange you might wonder? It's just so out of character for me. I've also been offline since Sunday. I simply had no desire to log on to the internet, another anomaly. Makes me feel like Neo after he first unplugged from the Matrix. It is very surreal and yet very relaxing. Finally, I figured it was time to sort through my emails and update this blog. I've got so many things on my to-do list and so keeping up my mental and physical stamina is a must.

This weekend will be a busy one as well. We checked out the liquidation sale at Joe's for camping supplies. DH had fun getting some camo gear (go figure this new hobby). I told him he has officially crossed over the the dark side of redneck nation. He grinned with pride at that statement. For those of you who don't know, I married a cross between Peter Griffin (of Family Guy) and Chandler (of Friends). That's okay, he tells me he married Monica (except I wish I was half the neat freak she was)...but I digress.

Then we ate at Arby's for dinner (the kids liked that). On Saturday, we'll color Easter eggs with N and K. DH and I have work-related dinner plans with his IT team, compliments of their big wig bossman to celebrate some of their recent successes. The kids will get their goodies from the Easter bunny on Sunday morning and hunt for their eggs. Then we'll have a swanky brunch at Embassy Suites with Grandma Jeanne. DH's family always had this tradition of having brunch, so he really wanted to carry it on with our children. We don't go to church or have many fancy occasions, so it's nice to have an excuse to be get dolled up for Easter Sunday. K can't wait to wear her pretty dress. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Happy Easter to all of you!

2 comments:

Lawfrog said...

The reading endorsement is an excellent idea and one that will be very valuable to you in the future. Good call on that one teach!

Sorry about the chronic fatigue. Our parallel lives strike again...I have the same issue. I need to sleep for about 16 hours and then I might, just might, be caught up on all the sleep I need to function.

Looking forward to seeing the Easter pics! Love you:)

Kristin said...

Sounds like a lot going on -- I hope you get some sleep and that you had a nice Easter!