Monday, August 24, 2009

Campout '09

This past weekend we went on our second annual campout with two other families. DH has two best friends that he has known since high school. Brian is married to Rosalee and they have four children and another due in November. Troy is a single dad with three daughters. We left about midday on Friday to make the almost two hour drive to the campground, located near Mt. Hood. The guys each had a walkie talkie that they treated like their CBs, complete with call signs. They were very cute as they channeled their inner Smokey and the Bandits throughout our little caravan to the site.

Upon our arrival, we discovered that our favorite spot from last year was already taken. And much to our dismay, almost every site was filled up. Fortunately, we got the second to last one available. It was strange that so many people were at this particular campground, given it's very remote location. Last year, we were one of only a handful of families there. This year was quite busy.

Anyhow, we unloaded the vehicles and began to set up the tents. It took DH and I a little awhile to set up our tent as it was brand new, but we finally figured it out. DH is quite the city boy and this was his first time ever setting one up. I grew up camping with my family, but am somewhat limited in my own experience with putting up tents. We had a cabin-style tent for years and slept on little pads that we simply rolled up (long before the ever popular air mattress caught on). I remember clearing out rocks and collecting tree branches to roast our hot dogs and marshmallows with. By middle school, my parents had had enough of the tent lifestyle and bought their first camper. Nowadays, I still love being outside, but would much prefer roughing it in a camper or trailer of my own (if only!).


We quickly learned that we were in for a tough weekend when the gnats and yellowjackets began to welcome us. Whenever there was any food out, the bees would swarm and drive us crazy. Meals were eaten at lightning speed. The best part of the day was at dusk when they went to bed and finally gave us some peace. We roasted marshmallows and enjoyed s'mores over the campfire. The kids loved this so much and it was hard to cut them off.

DH and I also had an interesting first night and didn't get much sleep. We slept on air mattresses, however, the ground underneath was uneven and sloped downhill a bit. Throughout the night I would find myself sliding off. It became almost comical as I would wake up every other hour and try to inch my way back up the mattress in my slippery sleeping bag. The second night was much better though as I figured out how to stay on better.


The guys took the kids bike-riding through the campground. DH went on a hike with N and said they saw 3 or 4 does fairly close up. I took some of the kids on various walks through the woods and we hiked along the creekbed. We saw quite a few chipmunks running around. At one point, they got to go wading around in the glacial water...ooooh is that stuff is freezing cold! Last year, the creek was right next to our site, but this year we couldn't access it as easily. The guys took off for a couple of hours to go target shooting and some male bonding time. Rosie and I relaxed by the firepit as the kids happily made mud pies, dirt casseroles, and other such woodsy treats.


There were some stresseful and crabby moments for all of us, but overall we had a wonderful time. DH had mixed feelings about the experience as he definitely missed the comforts of home, but he gave it a valiant effort for us. We are already talking about things we may get for next year to make it better. Except for those pesky bees, I loved hanging out with my family and friends in the great outdoors.

Sipping hot cocoa by the morning campfire.

Buddies

Tour de France?

Gathering their walking sticks.


The boys wading in the creek.


Looking for rocks to skip.


Enjoying the woodland wonderland.


DH took up whittling.


The guys playing cribbage.


Our campsite.

Our tent.


Catching a moment with my little guy.


My how they've all grown!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I love it! We "roughed" it for several years before finally buying a camper, but the tents today are SO much better than they used to be.

I hope you give it another go next year -- I'm sure your kids thought it was the best thing, but I know how much work it is for the parents.