Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Seasons Must Change

I've noticed that some of the leaves around here are already beginning to turn, revealing that autumn is right around the corner already. I am sad to the summer coming to an end, but I do look forward to harvest season, trips to the pumpkin patch, trick-or-treating, and all the other wonderful things that come with fall. In case you're wondering why I didn't mention school, it's because as much as I love my teaching job and classes, I never look forward to going back to work. I love my time with my own kids too much, so it's an annual struggle within me to get back into the groove of the labor force.

To make matters worse, that wonderful "edusomnia" is back and causing me to toss and turn many a night. Instead of counting sheep, I count how many lessons I need to write, pencils to sharpen, and papers to file. You would think that alone would put anyone to sleep. Well, instead of completely fighting it, I thought I would honor the coming changes of the season with one of my favorite short poems by Robert Frost. BTW, I did not take the photo below, it just looked beautiful and fit well with the poem. LOL. Hope you enjoy it!




Nothing Gold Can Stay
by Robert Frost


Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold,
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Oh, I hear you on the sleepless nights! My mind is spinning with all the things I have to do for the upcoming school year. I also have noticed a little color in our neck of the woods, too. Oh, I'm NOT ready for it yet -- we just haven't had enough summer. :(