Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Around the Bend


We had a long and busy weekend as I drove the kids and myself to Bend for a visit. Hubby had to work, so he didn't go. Just outside of Sandy was a traveling exhibit for veterans. It was a ton of American flags planted in the ground, just waving in the wind. We stopped and paid our respects as both my grandfathers' fought in WWII. IT was truly an amazing sight and you could feel the history behind the flags.

We stayed for about five days with my folks, since we hadn't seen the whole family since Christmastime. We tried to drive through Warm Springs, but got detoured about an hour out of the way (up through Maupin to hwy 97) due to a fire burning over the ridge above town. The smoke was pretty thick and you could even see the flames. Made for a longer trip, but exciting I suppose. The kids were very tired by the time we arrived though. We were supposed to go to Munch 'n Music (concerts in the park) with my folks in downtown Bend, but ended up missing that due to the detour.


Friday was fairly eventful. My dad took the kids and I to the park to feed the ducks and explore a little bit. They always have a grand time when we go to Drake Park. It is quite expansive and reknowned for the duck, geese, and the occasional swan that inhabit Mirror Pond (for which Mirror Pond Pale Ale is named). We also had lunch at Dairy Queen. The kids each had their first Dilly Bar. =)


Then my cousin Tereasa drove us (they were trying to help me conserve gas for the trip home) to their (my cousin Ron too) place to see the progress on their home they've been building for almost year. The kids got to ride their horses bareback. It was K's first time ever on a horse and Nicky's second time. Tereasa led K around the corale (sp?) and N's horse just followed along like they were on any old trail. They were so cute and had such a great time with that. I think it was the highlight of the trip for them. Tereasa was fearless as she stomped through manure and antpiles in her sandals to lead the horses around. The kids were enjoying themselves so much and didn't wanna leave.

On Saturday, my mom and I got up very early to go to the Sisters Outdoor Quiltshow. It's an annual event that my mom has been going to for years, but it was my first time. We got there in time to get a shady spot right in town. Guess my mom gets that same spot pretty much every year. As the day wore on, people had to park way out of town and walk quite a ways, so we were lucky. We immediately went to find my mom's quilt submission entitled, "Moon Over Mountain." Her quilt pattern was simple and beautiful. I loved the colors and fabrics she selected. It really stood out in a good way in the sea of more traditional pinwheels, rings, and such. We ate hot dogs for lunch and soon called it a day. After about 3 or 4 hours of walking around, we were both tired. Since we still had to go to a birthday party that afternoon, we decided to go to Walmart to kill some time.

That afternoon, we went to a park in Redmond for my cousin Val's daughter's one year birthday celebration. Her husband, Isaac, arrived to find that their reserved spot was occupied. Since he paid for the spot, he was entitled to ask them to move. Let's just say that the other people were not budging for anything or anyone. Val arrived with the paperwork to prove it was reserved and the police had to come to get the other party to move to another location. It was crazy and just plain drama as these people raised a big stink about it all. I felt so sorry for Isaac as he was not feeling well to begin with and just wanted his daughter's birthday to be fun. Anyway, the party finally got under way and a good time was had by all. Both sides of Val and Isaac's family were there, so we were well-fed. We ate good BBQ and cupcakes for desert. My mom left early due to her not feeling well either. After spending all day in the sun, I was feeling a little baked (not in the herbal way) and just wanted to go vege at the house.

By Sunday, I was feeling very mellow and tired. We had planned to go up to the lake to swim, but that didn't work out. I wanted to do something fun for the kids, but couldn't decide on what. Finally, my dad took us downtown to the summer festival. The kids played in the hands-on children's museum booths, ate lunch, and waded in the river. N kept climbing on the rocks and tempting the current. It has a bad undertow and since didn't have a life jacket, he wasn't allowed to swim. He wouldn't listen to my warnings to stay near the shore and be careful. Just as I was about to take him out of the water, he slipped and fell. He wasn't hurt, just got his clothes all wet. I couldn't help but laugh and tell him "I told you so." Not very nice of me, but he got over it pretty quickly. He definitely learned his lesson the hard way and didn't like the feeling of wet underwear. We BBQ'd that night (yes I felt like I was Od'ing on BBQ) and visited with more family.

On Monday, we packed up to leave. I agreed to drive my niece, M, home to her mom's. First though, we met my best friend from high school at a nearby park. We hadn't seen each other in years (not since N was under 2) and so it was great to catch up. The kids played together and it was great catching up with Jen. Poor M waited around for us to gab for about an hour. I made it up to her later though. We finally go on our way, only for the kids to complain about needing to go potty in the middle of nowhere. Well, we stopped at lovely viewpoint of the Three Sisters Mountains and tried to get K to squat in the brush. That didn't work out, but N was successful. Yes, not at all classy, but when you gotta go you gotta go. We finally got to Sisters and K did her business at last. We made a pitstop at the Candy Bin (much to M's delight) to stock up on a few goodies for the trip back. I dropped her off in Salem with her mom and then made it home.

It was another crazy busy time, but made more memories that will need scrapbooking. I also got a phone call from a school district that wants to interview me, so it put a smile on my face for the remainder of the drive home. I am now home and facing mounds of housework and projects that need to get underway. It's amazing how fast the summer days go by. I was in awe that Target is already stocking up for back to school supplies. Where does the time go?

No comments: