Sunday, September 21, 2008

Book Smart

This post will likely bore you unless you have followed me throughout my teaching saga. Anyhoo, I struck gold this weekend as I discovered a handful of primary literature units based on some popular picture books. I've been trying to find ways to spruce up my primary classes for my 1st and 2nd graders and by george I think I've got it! I am in the process of putting together some activities that I am feeling good about. So far I am working on The Very Hungry Caterpillar, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Stone Soup, A Little Prairie House, The Tortoise and the Hare, Rainbow Fish, Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See?...and more if I find the time. We'll be doing some art projects and mini-books to accompany each of these read alouds.

My 1st graders will mostly benefit from these units as I hope to move my 2nd graders along faster and get them started on books like Ramona, Because of Winn-Dixie, and Charlotte's Web. If you know me IRL, you know how passionate I am about reading and books in general. I can't get enough of reading and am always making lists of books I want to read. I am thankful that my son has inherited this love as he nose is constantly in a book of some sort. It's too soon to tell with K, but she does love to leaf through picture books quite often. As for work, I put up with the logistics of teaching reading such as phonics and such just so I can get to the fun parts of teaching novels and picture books. =)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

My kids love that one, too!