Friday, September 26, 2008

Out of Order

In the aftermath of Hurricane Ike, there has been a lot of devastation for the folks in southern Texas and along the gulf coast. Some people have lost everything and that is a horrible thing to experience. My best friend lives outside of Houston and experienced only minimal damage and has lost some of the conveniences that we all take for granted. They were unable to find simple things such as milk in the days following the storm. They lost power for days and are still without cable and internet. While these are only minor things, they are still source of frustration I'm sure. It got me thinking about the things we have grown not only accustomed to, but also dependent upon and how our worlds can be turned upside when we lose ceratin things.

What if you lost your remote control? Imagine the horror of actually having to get out of your chair to turn on the TV. This act would drive some to reckless acts of violence. What if you cell phone stopped working? Imagine the struggle of finding a random payphone and digging for the 50 cents to make a simple call or actually having to wait until you got home to use your land line. What if your microwave went belly up? Imagine the sheer terror of figuring out how to use the oven, let alone the self-cleaning mechanism. What if your books-on-tape got scrambled somehow? Imagine the nightmare of having to physically turn the pages of a novel and exhaustive process of reading with your eyes. What if the Playstation or Xbox went haywire? The very thought of sending our children into the real world to be one with nature and *gulp* use their imaginations is almost too frightening to even consider!!! This list of what ifs is endless!


These scenarios might send shivers down the spines of some. However, I think if we somehow survived to live for decades without the advances of technology...we might just land on our feet in spite of these hardships. I've had to adapt to teaching in an enironment that is throwing every possible obstacle in my path. With no classroom or and very limited resources, it has been an adventure in every way. While this has been frustrating and highly inconvenient, I somehohw found a way through and am better for it many ways. Losing access to the everyday blessings can make us crazy and give us perspective. I like to think that in some way we are better off without certain things from time to time. Now if I ever lost the internet and cable, I might have to call Larry the Cable Guy to get back on the job or maybe I'd finally get some other home projects done at long last.

5 comments:

audrinagirl said...

hi. sorry to bug you. ok. I remember trying to play in the cupola of life back in 98 or 99, back when you had another site called britts back stage pass I think it was. well. ok. I'll admit defeat. help me get through that game please.

I've tried again recently and i'm still stumped.

Dauphyfan said...

First of all, thanks for playing the game! Since I can't figure out how to comment on your blog (no link), I'll try to answer your question here. When I first created that game, I thought I had made it too easy...was I wrong! You have to go to certain rooms in a certain order in order to find the right path.

Anyhow, here is your cheat sheet. You go into the house and upstairs. When you get to the second floor, click on the stairs leading to the cupola. Once there, click on the windows. That will show you some trees and then click the "Back" link. Then click on the doorway leading back downstairs.

Go to the first Audrina's room and click on the rocking chair. You'll see the golden raintree. Keep clicking until you see Arden. Follow those steps until you return to Audrina's room. Then go back to the Cupola.

I am truly impressed and ecstatic that there are still people out there who enjoy the games. I need to find time to improve them and/or make a new one. It's been forever since I updated that sight. My old site "Britt's Backstage Pass" has been gone for a long time, but you can find my current personal website at www.geocities.com/sahaliehollow.

audrinagirl said...

any more clues? =)

Lawfrog said...

It is so true that being without some of the modern conveniences can offer a great perspective and allow you to use your imagination and get things done.

When the power was out for two days after the hurricane, I wrote letters, packed the box for you:), read, and slept a lot. Since I've been without cable and internet at home, I've ended up reading A LOT and getting schoolwork done that I normally procrastinate on quite a bit.

I have no idea when cable/net will return to our house, but having to go to Starbucks isn't that bad considering I meet some interesting people here and it forces me to get off the internet without spending tons of time on it as I normally might.

Dauphyfan said...

Audrinagirl--those are all the steps you need to get to the end. Click on the windows once you get to the cupola for the final time. When you run your mouse over the links, look at the bottom of your screen to see where it will link to. Did you finish?