Thursday, March 26, 2009

Heart of the Ocean

Okay, so I'm a little late in posting a recap of our weekend getaway. However, I was enjoying my spring break unplugged (from the internet). I am proud of myself for lasting as long I did. Hubby actually went the weekend without getting online (helped that there was no wireless at our hotel). It was a wonderful weekend and we made a lot of memories.


So anyway, we left midafternoon on Friday for the Oregon coast and beat much of the traffic. We checked into our hotel in Lincoln City and were immediately impressed with the view. What a picturesque scene to wake up to every morning! It made our hotel choice well worth it just to see that view.




After settling in, we were very hungry and headed over to the buffet. The food overall wasn't quite worth the cost, but the Indian Flatbread (tastes like a beignet) was phenomenal and prepared right in front of you. It was getting dark, but the kids and I decided to check out the beach. DH was tired from the drive, so he hung out in our room, but watched us from the window above. The kids had fun making footprints in the wet sand and looking for interesting rocks and seashells. It didn't take long for the sun to set and the wind off the Pacific to turn chilly, driving us back inside for warmth. Our first night of spring break and you'd have thought we stayed up til all hours. Instead, we were asleep by 8:30...yes we like to walk on the wild side!


By early morning, we were sick of sleeping and wanted to get going. We ate way too much breakfast at the Pig 'n Pancake. The name is so very hick, but the food is delicious. We stopped in at The Glass Foundry to make an appointment for me to make blown glass. Then we headed down the coast to Waldport to see my brother, who owns a little knife shop. We don't get to see each very often anymore, so it was good to see him. It had been two years since our last visit, so his hair had grown a bit. I told him he reminded me of Grizzly Adams, which he took as a compliment and said it was better than Charles Manson. I think we kinda made his day with our purchases. I got my first Swiss Army Knife and a compass. DH got himself a few goodies too (a hunting knife, a belt knife, and a dagger-for show).


After hanging out with my brother for a bit, we met my parents for lunch at a little retro diner. They happened to be visiting the coast that same weekend down in Yachats, so it worked out well. It was great for the kids to see their Grandma and Grandpa. After lunch, we went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium. It was the first time for DH and the kids, so it was fun experiencing it through their eyes. I hadn't been there since Keiko was housed there years earlier, so it was amazing how much it has changed since then. They put in these awesome underwater passages, complete with sharks swimming all around you. The kids enjoyed seeing all the aquatic animals and touching different the sea stars in the hands-on tidepool. They each also got a little souvenir out of it...N got a shark puppet and K wanted stuffed baby harbor seal.


Next, we drove back up the coast a bit and did a little shopping in Depoe Bay. Since it was getting a little late in the afternoon, we breezed in and out of just a few stores. We made sure we got some requisite salt water taffy and white chedder popcorn. I wish we had had more time to spend there, but the day just caught up to us. Lunch and breakfast were still weighing heavily on us, so we kept dinner fairly light. We shared a family chowder bowl at Mo's, a must-have for anyone visiting the Oregon coast. Daylight was beginning to wane, but we weren't quite ready to go back to the hotel yet. We checked out the little pier next to Mo's. The beach there was covered in driftwood and campfires, so we hung out for awhile to let the kids explore. This was the exact same place that DH found his big walking stick ten years ago (on our first trip to the coast as couple), so it held some sentimental value for us. Surrounded by sand, water, and wood...needless to say the kids had a blast.


Finally, the chill and fatigue caught up to us, so we made one final stop at the nearby Safeway (for some munchies) and returned to the hotel. It was a really long day and there wasn't much on TV, so we went to bed early...again. The next morning, we woke up early and got ready. To save money, we ate cereal and doughnuts in our hotel room. The only problem is that we were ready way too early. My appointment at The Glass Foundry wasn't until 11:00, so we didn't quite know what to do with ourselves. It was cold and blustery outside, so a walk along the beach wasn't in the cards either. We puttered around for a bit and then thought we'd just take a chance and show up a little early in hopes they'd take me.


As it turned out, I was their first appointment of the day so it was no biggie. My instructor was awesome and guided me every step of the way. I gotta tell ya, if you have never made blown glass before, you have to try it. This experience deserves it's own blog, so I will include this in a separate one. Anyhow, it was soooo much fun and somehow I managed turn out a pretty decent piece (with help from my instructor of course). DH wants to do it next time.


After blowing the glass, we ate some Gallucci's pizza for lunch and then went shopping at the outlet mall. I bought K some discounted Gymboree hair accessories. I wanted to get more, but we were trying to stay on some kind of budget for this trip. By this point, we had done almost everything we had wanted to do and we lucked out with a sunbreak, so we went hunting for seashells on the beach by our hotel. I think we were out there for over an hour. I tell ya, the fact that my kids still get a thrill out of finding an interesting rock is so endearing to me. They are easy to please and I love that about them. Then we rested up a bit before eating our last dinner out. It was a nice, quiet seafood grill that was part of the hotel. I later took the kids the hotel's arcade, where they marveled at all the games. They rode dueling motorcycles, played some air hockey, and rode a virtual rollercoaster. DH's back was hurting, so he hung back in our room. It was another early night, but we were so tired that we were all grateful for sleep.


Finally on Monday morning, we were dressed and packed pretty quickly. We ate another simple breakfast and checked out. Before leaving, we had to go pick up my glass float that had cooled overnight in foundry's kiln. They weren't quite open yet, so we killed time at the driftwood beach again that was located nearby. The only problem was that while K was climing on a log, she conked her hand on a branch that was sticking out. She got a little scrape in her hairline, but nothing too bad. She continued to complain that it hurt throughout the day, so it did give us a scare. After consulting an advice nurse and monitoring her, it turned out to be nothing, thankfully so.


Overall, it was really relaxing vacation and I loved just being with my family. After the craziness of the last few months, we truly needed this. We hope to make this an annual event. I have some wonderful memories of doing this with my family growing up and want that for my kids. It's been a great spring break.

No comments: