Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Eve


After spending much of the week prepping for the holidays, we finally were able to enjoy some time with family. Each Christmas eve, we try to spend it with my natural father's side of the family. DH had to work that morning, so he woke up extra early to go in at 6am, so he could get off by noon. He made it home by 12:30, so we were on the road shortly thereafter to make the hour drive to Salem.

By the time we arrived at my grandmother's house, some people had already arrived and the festivities were getting under way. Almost that whole side of my family came together for the first time in years. The full house included my Grandma G, Gordon (my natural father), Great Aunt Grace, Aunt Rhonda and Uncle Ross, Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Dale, cousin Heather and her two daughters Vanessah and Lauren, cousin Derek and his wife Kazue, cousin Andrew and his girlfriend Kim and their two daughters Kaitlyn and Kiera, cousin Cory, cousin Kelsey and her husband Jason and their three kids Malia, Zadok, and Maclin. Whew! Pop quiz on all those names tomorrow. ;)

We set our Christmas tree brownies down on the counter along with all the other goodies that my extended family had brought. It's one big potluck, so everyone just grazes like we're at a buffet. My aunt was busy slaving over the hot stove to make her lumpia, so DH parked it right there in the kitchen to get first dibs. He's a sucker for my Aunt Rhonda's lumpia (a Filipino spring roll). I made the rounds to give everyone hugs and hellos, then I made the kids and myself a plate of food.

After everyone filled their bellies, we opened presents and such. As much as we enjoy that, the best part of the night (in my opinion) comes when we sit down to play our annual game of Balderdash. You roll the dice and read the word on the card that matches the number rolled. The words all crazy words that you have make up a definition for. Then you read off all the definitions and try to guess the real one. There's a little more to it, but that's the gist of it. My family and I get really into it. My cousin Heather won this year and oh did she gloat! She even snapped a photo of it with her phone to post it on Facebook. Too funny!

DH doesn't like board games much, so he kind of snoozed in a recliner. The kids played with Grandpa Gordon and their cousins. We had such a wonderful night filled with lots of fun, food, and family. By the the time we finished the game, it was well after 7:00, so we figured we better get going. The kids enjoyed watching the Christmas lights go by as we drove the hour back home.
Once we walked in the door, we sent the kids to change into their pajamas. Then they wrote their letter to Santa and set out milk and brownies (we didn't have any cookies) for him. And lastly, I read them The Night Before Christmas, something I've done every year since N was born. Then I finished getting some things ready for the next morning before turning in for the night. Before I went upstairs to bed, I spent a few minutes just admiring the Christmas lights illuminated in the dark. It's something that helps me reflect on how blessed I am to have my family.

Gordon and Me

The 3 Musketeers
(My Great Aunt Grace, Aunt Rhonda, and Grandma)



My cousin Heather immortalizing her win at Balderdash for FB



Breaking glass...oops I mean singing Christmas carols



My awesome cousins
(Cory, Kelsey, me, and Heather)



Opening gifts




K a happy girl




N so proud of his gameplay




N and K with their Grandpa Gordon




Smile cousin Lauren!




Lots of family and lots of love


2 comments:

Clint said...

Family get togethers are fun. We ahd several as well.

Melissa said...

sounds like you had a fun time. :)