Saturday, February 20, 2010

The sun'll come out tomorrow...

Ever have a ton of things to do and just no desire to do them? Well, report card season is upon us again and I am avoiding it like the plague! I have to have them done by next weekend, so you can imagine how much fun the coming days will be. My family dreads the long hours I end up putting in and wonder why I have to be gone so much. So I feel torn between work and home. After a rocky start to the new year with my supervisor, things have been really looking up lately and I feel as though I have found my second wind at work.

She and I have come to a happier place as we've both taken stock of ourselves and have been making many positive changes. Now I feel more peace of mind and I think has made me a better teacher. I've avoided taking on extra responsibilities there so that I can spend every spare minute at home with my own children. However, I felt some pressure to contribute more, so I've opted to donate my lunch hour once a week to help mentor the 4th graders as they produce a weekly newsletter. It's a start and won't take away from my personal life.


After this week is over, I will have parent conferences to contend with. I will attempt to balance that with our current home projects that we have begun and complete paperwork for returning to school to renew my teaching license. If my brain doesn't explode before spring break, I will consider the term a success. What I love most about the beginning of spring besides the beautiful blossoms is that fact that summer is only mere months away. Which means more time with my kids. I get to put my SAHM hat on and it is truly when I am happiest and stress is kept at bay. I realize nobody pities a teacher's workload due to the fact that we get time off every summer, but I think you have to walk a mile in our moccasins before passing judgment.


The sun was out shining today, so my husband spent the day with some friends. It was too nice to stay inside, so I took the kids shopping for books at the Goodwill (can't beat the prices) and bought some new shoes for K (for Easter and everyday). Then I treated them to lunch at one of our favorite summer haunts, a local soda fountain. N commented that it felt like one of our summer days. Oh that Annie knew what she was talking about when she sang the sun'll come out tomorrow...


1 comment:

Melissa said...

Sounds like you find ways to make time for your family no matter what. Book shopping and a soda fountain....fun!