Friday, February 12, 2010

Vancouver BC Baby!

As resident of the Pacific Northwest, I am particularly excited for the official start of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia. Our Canadian neighbors are literally just about 5 1/2 hours to the north of us along the border. Some of my students are even up there enjoying the experience in person. I WISH I could've been able to witness such a once in a lifetime event, but I will have to settle for the televised version like the rest of the world. As I was watching the Opening Ceremonies this evening, I was inspired by the visual artistry of the cultural homages to Canada. So here is my small contribution to the awe and spendlor that is the Olympics. I am no Maya Angelou, so be kind...



The 21st Olympiad

Every four years
Nations gather
To celebrate
To contemplate
As the winter glistens
As the world listens
Voices in harmony
As the snow falls
As the sport calls
Athletes in ecstasy
This time we go
To the northern lights
To the frosty nights
As we celebrate
As we contemplate
The eternal flame

Most of my poetry or stories come to me in short bursts of creative energy and get written in a matter of minutes (this one took 15 or so). Having grown up in the shadow of a famous ski resort (Mt. Bachelor), I am very fond of winter sports. I began skiing when I was just 3 years old, so my memories of winter days on the mountain are long. The Games have a special place in my heart. One of my earliest and favorite memories of the Winter Olympics was of Rosalyn Sumners skating for silver in 1984. Who knows what the next two weeks will bring? I have added visiting Vancouver, BC to my travel list of must-see places. Let the games begin!!!

No comments: