Thursday, April 15, 2010

What about you?



Teaching. It seems like a simple enough concept and yet is such a controversial topic. It's not simple at all and is full of controversy inside and outside of the profession. I was listening to some people chatting about this. What constitutes "best practices" depends on who you're talking to and your students. Then there's the vacation time. First of all, I personally won't lie and say that the summers off thing and all major holidays is a major draw. It's the only way I get to be a SAHM for any length of time. It's a definite perk.

Then there's the paycheck issue. Your average teacher works their tail off for 10 months and is paid as such. Some schools offer the choice of reducing your monthly income during the academic year in order to receive spread it out over the summer months. So it is income that has already been earned, but is just paid out during the off months (it's not extra income). However, anyone in their right mind that wants to make money is NOT a teacher. It's not just a job, it's a way of life that is often all-consuming and drains your bank account. I can't tell you how many teachers (myself included) who spend their own money on materials and resources for their classroom. It's not ideal, but it is what it is.

To me, while teaching may be a challenging way to earn a living, it is one of the most rewarding fields to be in. There is much work that goes on behind the scenes, but where else can you get paid to inspire kids to create and learn new things for most of the day? A coworker shared an awesome poem with me today that puts it all in perspective. Nuff said.


You Want to Know What I Make?

I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I can make a C+ feel like a Congressional medal of honor
and an A- feel like a slap in the face.
How dare you waste my time with anything less than your best?

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall
in absolute silence. No, you may not work in groups.
No, you may not ask a question.
Why won't I let you get a drink of water?
Because you're not thirsty, you're bored, that's why.

I make parents tremble in fear when I call home:
I hope I haven't called at a bad time,
I just wanted to talk to you about something Billy said today.
Billy said, "Leave the kid alone. I still cry sometimes, don't you?"
And it was the noblest act of courage I have ever seen.
I make parents see their children for who they are
and what they can be.

You want to know what I make?

I make kids wonder,
I make them question.
I make them criticize.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write, write, write.
And then I make them read.
I make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful
over and over and over again until they never misspell either one of those words again.
I make them show all their work in math.
And hide it on their final drafts in English.
I make them understand that if you got this (brains)
then follow this (heart) and if someone ever tries to judge you
by what you make, you give them this (the finger).

Let me break it down for you, so you know what I say is true:
I make a difference! What about you?

1 comment:

Kristin said...

You sound like a very good, caring teachers. I hope the parents appreciate all you do for them!