Sunday, June 20, 2010

Spring Portraits

Over the last month or two, I've taken advantage of the few sunny days we've had to take the kids' spring photos. Their school does take pictures of them in both fall and spring, but the cost adds up. I do order their fall portraits, but I love taking their scenic shots myself every spring. I started the tradition about four years ago. Our neighborhood and the surrounding area provides lots of beautiful backdrops, so why not take advantage? I get the pictures developed throug Costco or Shutterfly, so it's pretty inexpensive. We are taking a trip to the Redwoods in a couple weeks, so I'm hoping for some amazing photo opps there too.

The most challenging part of the process is getting that one perfect shot that is frameworthy. Sometimes I luck out and get some good ones early on, while other times we have to make several attempts over several weeks to get it right. I suppose I am fairly picky, but I love doing it. Sometimes I even take portraits of my friends' children for them too. Obviously I am no professional, but I've learned about lighting and the various camera settings can have a positive or negative impact on the final photo. When we lost all of our photo archives earlier this year, that also meant the loss of all those portraits I've taken of the kids too. So this year I took more pictures than usual to start to rebuild our photo collection.

K used to be such a pill to get to hold still long enough, but she's getting better and more patient. I often end up with more of her as a result. She loves to ham it up and strike poses. I have to coach her into just smiling naturally and let me capture that as those kind often end up as her best photos. N doesn't enjoy getting his picture taken as much as he used to, so I have to be quick about it with him and hope for the best...hence often end up with far less of him. When they stop trying and simply smile, that's when the magic happens!



I love his dimples!







Trying to hard here, but I thought it was cute.







So serious







Love this one! It's so him...





My little ham



Too much sunlight in the background, but still loved it.



The wind wouldn't cooperate, but this is one my faves.



























She loves to pose like this...it's so her.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

your kids are so photogenic! if you're ever in DC, i'll have you photograph mine. :) great work!