Friday, August 15, 2014

Inked!

     Yep, I finally worked up the courage to get a tattoo.  I first seriously contemplated getting one back in college.  I once took an art design class during my sophomore year and one of our assignments was to create our dream tattoo.  What did I design?  A larger than life portrait of Abu.  Yep, this was not too long after the movie Aladdin had come out and I was a super fan of this adorable primate.  As much as I loved this little guy, I'm grateful that common sense kicked in and helped me envision the future.  Did I really want to have this tattoo on my body in fifty years?  Nope, I wasn't ready to commit yet.

     The desire would remain, but the money factor often scared me away.  As a poor college student and for the first few years after, every penny was pinched, so frivolous things went out the window real quick.  Then as life often does, it kinda took over and the desire for a tattoo was put on the back burner for several years.  I focused on my career, then later my husband and kids, and then one day I turned around to see that tons of time had passed.  When my bestie and I went took a trip to Las Vegas together, we visited a tattoo parlor on a whim.  I very seriously thought about getting one then to commemorate our friendship, but once again, the crazy prices drove me away.  What I failed to consider then was that Vegas prices are not necessarily reflective of prices in other areas.

     The desire would continue to build over the next few years until I finally realized I truly wanted a tattoo and would figure out a way to pay for it.  Once I made the decision, the real confusion began.  I figured that one day soon I would set aside the funds and just take the plunge.  Yet it was indecision about the design that held me back.  After celebrating a milestone birthday, I knew the clock was ticking and I needed to get on with it.  After about a year of serious consideration and a great deal of consideration, I settled on my the design.  Don't think I didn't waiver right up until the moment of truth though.  A thousand designs crossed my mind over the years, so to settle on one was a challenge.

     I went in for a consultation and did some checking around about the reputation of this place.  I got a crash course on the do's and don'ts of the tattoo industry.  I submitted a picture of what I wanted and the tattoo artist informed me that she preferred to put her own creative spin on the tattoos that she does.  Being a newbie, I conceded to her on this point, but we closely collaborated via email over the next couple of weeks.  I told her what I wanted and she drew inspiration from two pictures I gave her.  In the end, she made what I felt to be a beautiful marriage of our visions.  I wanted a fairly simplistic rendering of a dragonfly enveloped in swirly lines, natural elements, and for my kids' initials to be integrated into the design somehow. She magically pulled it all together into what I hoped for.

     On a side note, the one requirement I had made for myself was that I wanted a tattoo that was meaningful to me so that I would be happy with it long term. Too many times, people I knew had gotten tattoos that looked "cool" in the moment, but they later regretted.  I opted to get a dragonfly.  This was because there were tons of them around a lake I grew up going to with my family.  It connected me to my childhood and the place I grew up.  I also wanted my kids' initials as a loving gesture to my children. The design has many layers of meaning for me, many of which I won't bore you with here. However, the important point is that the design is sentimental to me and I love it.

      On the day of my appointment, I made sure that I took pain pill early that morning (just to be on the safe side).  I went off to a work function, but didn't tell anyone what I was planning (except my hubby and kids of course).  As I was told to do, I made sure to eat something. I showed up for my appointment and the artist put the finishing touches on the design.  She did her thing and went to work on me.  I cannot lie...it was painful, but mostly bearable.  She put the tattoo on around my left ankle.  In the end, I was very pleased with her work.  I am currently in the healing process, so for the next few weeks I have to wash the area daily, dab it it dry, and be sure to moisturize it with lotion a 3-5 times a day.  Sadly, I also have to avoid the sun and water (except for showers).  These are not easy tasks in August, but since I only have a week left before I return to work, I figure it's a small price to pay for the awesome tattoo that I always wanted and finally got. Thankfully, reactions from my friends and family have been positive, which reinforces my belief that it was the right decision.  Here it is:





No comments: