Sunday, August 24, 2014

Summer Days

     It has been a fairly quiet, but fun-filled summer.  We opted not to go on any BIG trips this year in an effort to save money, however we did try to get out and about whenever possible. Here are some of the highlights of our summer break:

   
 We started the summer in June with a trip to the Oregon coast and stayed in at the Port of Garibaldi.  It is a small fishing village with only three hotels.  Ours was a nice little one and it had an indoor pool shaped like the state of Oklahoma...I kid you not.  We drove all up and down the 101 to visit many of the little towns along the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH).  As we headed north, we went to Rockaway Beach, Manzanita, Nehalem, Cannon Beach, Seaside, and Ft. Stevens.  At Ft. Stevens, we toured the remnants of old military installations and hiked along the South Jetty located along the mouth of the Columbia River.  In Cannon Beach, we indulged in some of Mo's famous clam chowder and walked along the beach at Haystack Rock.  As we headed south, we toured the Tillamook Cheese Factory and explored Cape Kiwanda in Pacific City. In addition, we drove through some of the Tillamook National Forest to see the Nehalem River and Munson Creek Falls.  All in all, we ate well, played hard, and enjoyed ourselves tremendously.  It was a much-needed respite for the family.  

     On the 4th of July, we went to the St. Paul Rodeo for the first time.  It is considered one of the biggest rodeos around and attracts people from all over.  I grew up attending rodeos and even learned how to barrel race at horse camp as a kid.  However, my hubby and the kids had never experienced a rodeo before, so this was their first time literally. The kids burned off some steam by enjoying some of the carnival rides.  We also filled our bellies with some amazing food at the BBQ Cookoff.  It was a fairly warm day, but thankfully we enjoyed the rodeo from under cover, which helped a lot.  The kids had some cotton candy, which is always an awesome treat.  It was a long rodeo (3+ hourse), but I think hubby and the kids had a terrific time.  Later in the evening, we lit some fireworks at home and then kicked back in a nearby field in North Plains to watch the fireworks display.  

     
In mid-July, hubby went with some of his buddies to the Hell's Canyon Motorcycle Rally in Baker City, OR.  The kids and I drove to Bend (first trip back to my hometown in over a year) to see my folks.  My parents had been on a yearlong excursion around the country, so we hadn't been to Bend for a visit in a very long time.  My parents sold their old house and were now settling in to an apartment that was considerably cozier.  We made due with the limited space and spent a lot of time out and about.  On Saturday, N spent some quality time with Grandpa, while K, my mom, and I went to the Sisters Quilt Show.  it was only my second time and K's first.  Some of the quilts are absolutely beautiful and always intricate in detail.  We walked around admiring quilts for a few hours, ate an early lunch, and then met up with my Dad and N at the Bend Fest.  Later that day, the kids went swimming at the apartment pool to cool off. In the evening, we visited my nephew's family and had dinner with them. It was a very long, eventful day.  On Sunday, K and I packed up and headed home as she had volleyball camp starting.  N stayed on for a few extra days in Bend.  Before we left, we stopped off to visit my brother and his wife and to see their horses. K loves horses anywhere anytime!  When K and I got home, we had a lot of fun just having some mommy-daughter alone time with no boys at home.  

     At the end of July, we went on our annual camp out with friends.  This time, we went to the Tillamook National Forest, camping near Cook Creek (a feeder into the Nehalem River).  We were way back in the woods and although we didn't get the best campsite, we made the best of it.  The kids had a blast as always.  They got to ride their bikes around without helmets (gasp!) and even rode in the back of the truck (oh the horror!).  Life is so controlled and careful these days, it was wonderful to have the kids experience a small taste of the carefree ways of our youth. All in all, it was a fantastic weekend, except for the inch long bubble blister that formed on my heel from wearing my new Teva sandals.  Oh well, it only took a month to heal. :)

     All summer long, the kids kept very busy (with me as their chauffeur) with their various activities.  K went
to volleyball camp, where she improved her serving and setting skills.  N went to archery camp and learned how to properly hold and aim the bow, as well as went on nature hikes. The location of the camp was in a beautiful, wooded setting in a rural part of the North Plains/Mountaindale area. Both kids took swimming lessons, went berry-picking, played outside with some friends, and hung around the house.  Every summer, we always take weekly trips to the library as the kids are voracious readers and this summer was no exception. There were many days when we were out all day and many where we just had lazy days.  

     Hubby and I also had a couple of days where we sneaked in some riding.  He had been bugging me for over a year to go on a long ride with him and I finally caved.  Along with a few friends, we went on a couples ride from Hillsboro to Cannon Beach to Waldport to Hillsboro again.  We made frequent stops in many of the coastal communities along the PCH.  In Waldport, we saw my brother at his knife shop.  I hadn't seen him in many years, so it was good to see him again.  When the ride was over, it was dark and my bum was SORE.  I soaked in the bathtub for quite awhile afterwards, but it was an amazing ride.  I don't do well with twists and turns, but I worked through my fears, so I was proud of that.

     And now here I sit and write this blog on the last day of my summer vacation.  There were many days in between the experiences I've described here, but these are the days that stood out to me.  I am always grateful to have these summer days with my family as a stay-at-home-mom.  I am saddened when I think of how fast every year seems to be flying by.  My kids are growing up quicker than this mommy can handle. Oh well, one day at at time, right?  Cheers to sunny rays and summer days!   

        

   

 

No comments: