Thursday, November 09, 2006

Holiday Traditions


Well, it is officially the most wonderful time of the year. After we hang up our Halloween costumes and begin to gorge on trick-or-treats, November 1st seems to be the first day of the holiday rush. For two months, the stores get cracking on the their merchandise sales. While we still have to stuff ourselves with turkey and pumpkin pie, Christmastime is here as far as the retail world is concerned. It really kicks into high gear the day after Thanksgiving. It happens almost like clockwork, you can set your watch by it. My kids love to roam the aisles of Target look at all the Christmas items or window shop at Toys 'R US. What's funny is that Christmas is so commericalized that I can still remember the holiday jingle..."Merry Christmas from Payless, Merry Christmas!"

All this holiday cheer got me thinking about some of our favorite holiday traditions. While I love to shop and get ready for the big day, I also cherish the little things we do as a family every year. For as long as I can remember, I have set out milk, cookies, and a note for Santa. I did it as a little girl, as college student, and now as a mother of two children. It is a personal tradition that I know many do, but I am glad to have passed onto my own kids.

Also, my mom and grandma made a handmade, felt advent calendar. We would draw an ornament each day until Christmas. Now my kids do it.

Every year, we drive around the neighborhoods and look at the light displays. We really look forward to that one. Someday we hope to have the money to create an amazing display of our own.

Every Christmas Eve, I read The Night Before Christmas to my kids at bedtime. Then we sing their favorite Christmas songs.

As a child, I never got to experience cutting down a Christmas tree (that I know of), so it has been entertaining to start this annual event courtesy of my husband. He grew up doing it, so it is a big deal for him to have our kids get to that. We dress in our grungies and sip hot cocoa while we find the perfect tree.

We are slowly creating little traditions of our own to carry on. There are more than I have listed here. I love this time of year like no other. It is uplifting and special. One really nice perk to becoming a teacher is that every year I will get to spend the holidays with my children because we'll have Christmas vacation together. I spent too many holidays in my twenties having to work, so I am grateful to have these precious memories to make with my family.

No comments: