Wednesday, November 29, 2006

PBS Telethon

I'm sitting here blogging while listening to a tribute to James Taylor on PBS during their holiday fundraising drive. This is when they show their best stuff. The show tonight is an all-star celebration of James Taylor's music and legacy. I've always loved him and it's a great reminder to listen to new voices bring back some great classics. What's awesome is that I'm getting to hear some of my favorite singers perform too. The Dixie Chicks sang the hell out of "Shower the People." Sheryl Crow sang my sentimental favorite, "Mexico," with David Crosby and Jackson Browne doing backup for her. Keith Urban, Bonnie Raitt, Sting, and many more permformed as well. His music is so enduring. Some of my faves include:
  • Carolina on My Mind
  • Mexico
  • Shower the People
  • You've Got a Friend
  • Copperline

For me, listening to his songs is like the sounds of a waterfall, soothing and beautiful. Yes, I am gushing. I am a folk enthusiast, so I adore the great artists of the past like John Denver; Peter, Paul & Mary, Fleetwood Mac (okay maybe they're more rock), of course James Taylor, and so many more. Okay, I am done raving and I seriously digress...

Thank goodness for PBS. They have some great stuff on that channel and I look forward to the day when I can financially contribute some real support to them. I volunteered a few years back for their holiday drive and had a great time. I got some freaky callers and no pledges for support. Instead, I received more than a few complaints about how the regular programming schedule was messed up and why weren't we showing Lawrence Welk? My mom loves that show and I remember loving it a kid. However, what control do I have over programming on PBS? None. The callers didn't seem to get that and so it was interesting to listen to the many issues people had and their need to share them with a telethon volunteer. However, my partner-in-crime that night, Mo, got a bunch of pledges for donations. She must've just looked cuter on tv. I got all the freaks. Maybe that should tell me something...:) Okay, this has to be one my strangest ramblings as of late. Nighty-night.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

I love You've Got a Friend too! Folk music is timeless no matter what anyone says.

Don't feel bad...I always attract all the freaky people too. I've learned to expect it through my various jobs so now I'm never surprised at who (or what) is on the other end of the phone.:)