Sunday, November 26, 2006

The good stuff

Well, now that Thanksgiving is officially over it is time to celebrate my favorite time of year. Last year I was so immersed in grad school work and my job responsibilities that I neglected the holiday spirit too much. I didn't decorate the house nearly as much as I would've liked and never even got around to sending out Christmas cards. Just had too much on my plate to deal with. Pretty pathetic on my part. That is all about to change.


However, this year I am not feeling so crazy about school stuff and intend to do better by my kids. While I still have a ton to do for it, I am only working part time as a sub so I have a bit more time on my hands. The downside to this change is less money to go shopping with, another favorite pasttime. I was able to snag a few holiday things at the Dollar Tree that were of decent quality. I got some window/wall clings and stocking hangers (so I don't have to poke more holes with tacks).


This lack of funds has forced me to get creative and look into alternative activities to do. I think I've always relied to0 heavily on the Christmas shopping to get me into the spirit, but I am beginning to get back to my crafty roots. I want to finally make the wreath I've always wanted. The materials have been sitting in the garage for a couple of years. And also, I've never actually made a gingerbread house and thought the kids and I would give it a go. Maybe it'll become an annual tradition. I don't want to use the readymade stuff, I want to make the graham cracker version of it. I will try and take a picture of it to see if it turns out. Maybe we'll even make some cookies too.

Adult responsibilities sure have a funny way of changing us. I have always been like a big kid around the holidays, but I think I had forgotten to just enjoy it for what it is. Life gets so crazy and I don't want to miss anymore of the good stuff. Jobs, school, and the like are all fine and dandy, but nothing can replace the little moments with family. I can't wait for Chistmas!

No comments: