Sunday, September 16, 2007

Apples of my eye

Today is the first Sunday I've truly had off in literally four months. After I graduated from my teaching program last spring, I took a Sunday School job back in May to help make ends meet. Well, I've been pulling double-duty ever since I got my new teaching job almost a month ago with the local school district. Last week I said goodbye to everyone and even though I miss it there, it felt good to sleep in and hang out with my family again. To me, that is more important. We got right up and out the door this morning.


We decided to go to Krispy Kreme to have some doughnuts for breakfast. It was a specal treat for the kids as they love watching through the window as the doughnuts are made. Then we went over to a nearby housing development to window shop. I should I say dream and drool. These are higher-end homes that are way out of our range, but it's fun for us to look anyway. We hadn't done that in months. Then we headed over to Costco for some bulk groceries before heading over to Target to check out the "Scary Party." That's what the kids call the Halloween section. They enjoy looking at the grotesque decorations. Actually, hubby is the biggest kid of all. I get giddy over Christmas stuff, he gets the same way about Halloween. N decided he wants to be Harry Potter and K will be pretty in pink as a princess.

As a family, autumn is one of our favorite seasons. It's not just the beautiful colors of the trees that gets us. We love to get the costumes, deck the house out, and visit the pumpkin patch every year. The pumpkin patch we like to go to also specializes as an apple orchard, so we buy their honeycrisps and homemade cider every year. They offer a tour through their orchard and provide a haymaze. There's a bouncy apple to jump on and caramel apples to eat. It's become our tradition since we started going a few years ago. I think this will year number four or five...I've lost track. Anyway, the day started off sunny, but it's now raining. We are all back home and relaxing. I am so glad to escape the vortex that is my job for a couple of days before going back in for more. I was missing my kids and today made up for the whole week. As soon as I can get some new pictures downloaded, I'll post them. Take care!

2 comments:

Shelby said...

mmmmmmmmmm krispy kreme... :)

Lawfrog said...

No fair! I want to go to the Apple Orchard and Pumpkin Patch. I am bummed. I'd love to have stuff like that around here, but unfortunately I live in the concrete jungle.

SO glad you got to spend some time with K and N. I am sure they enjoyed it. Can't wait to see pics.