Saturday, September 08, 2007

Keeping busy

Okay, I made it through the first week of teaching...barely. Today is my first day off in about three weeks. I have been winding up my time at my summer job as a Sunday School Teacher, so I have one day left of that. It just makes an already crazy week that much longer. However, I will miss that job as I really enjoyed the kids and the congregration. It's a great little church program. Yet I have inherited a class of 6th graders in return.

Needless to say, I was petrified the first day. The 6th graders walked into my class with curiosity. They seemed so huge to me compared to 1st graders I was accustomed to. It was all I could to keep my nerves under control. I had to really keep my straight face on as they attempted to find my buttons to push. When I survived their initial tests, they realized pretty quickly as the week wore on that I meant business and was in charge. I spent most of the time getting to know their personalities and quirks as a class in lieu of assessment. I figured that was an imperitive step for me in my classroom management. I think I made the right decision in that regard, because we have begun to build a good rapport. My kids respect my authority and already seem eager for my opinion on their work. Makes me feel like I can officially call myself a teacher.

The thing that I need to work on is my organization skills. I have so many things to do that I've had to stay late every night this past week. It's really unavoidable at this point because there are a variety of tasks that just take time to do. I have a system and that also takes time to build and set in motion. As I get more comfortable with the curriculum and efficient in my work, I have faith that the extra hours will dwindle to more regular hours. I would like to go from staying til 7 or 8 each night to getting out by 5pm. At least I've carved out the weekends for family and friends. I can't be a wife and mother if I spend ALL of my waking hours acting as a teacher. There has to be a balance if I am to survive this career transition. It's rewarding, challenging, labor-intensive, and time-consuming. I am enjoying it though. It just takes A LOT of prep and planning ahead.

Thank you to all of you have been supportive throughout this process. It has been arduous task and not always hunky-dory. My husband lost his job this past week, so we are back to square one so to speak. His company let go of four people that same day in the name of "corporate downsizing." We figure it's life's way of keeping us humble. At least we'll be fine. Maybe this will be his chance to find another way to shine.

No comments: