Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Long Walk

So I as I approach another birthday, I am taking a good look at where I've been and how far I've come. I thought that my childhood was nutty and then I reached adolescence. I thought that teendom was a wild ride, that is, until I reached my roaring twenties. Just when I thought I'd grown out of the whole coming-of-age thing, I hit thirtysomething. Suffice it to say, I am finally comfortable in my own skin, but every decade seems to bring it's own set of highs and lows. It's been a long walk, to say the least. I loved the freedom that my twenties brought. It was when I had all the major milestones such as graduating from college, getting married, and having children (and not necessarily in that order).

However, I think that my thirties have been my favorite time overall, and I don't say that just because it is my present-day existence. I've had some intense struggles in the last few years, but have also made incredible strides on a personal level. I feel as though I truly know myself at long last. Also, I possess a confidence that was missing for years. That doesn't mean I can always put myself out there, but the fact that I am a teacher is an amazing feat for me. To be 'on' everyday, all day, is very taxing. The biggest milestones I've hit in my thirties have been graduating with my masters and becoming a teacher. These are goals that were always on the horizon, but never really thought I'd achieve them.

I started out in life with the hope of becoming a Japanese interpreter, an author, or a social worker in either child welfare or adoption. After being an exchange student and studying Japanese, I realized that I loved the culture and the language. Yet I didn't feel confident that I could make a career out of it. It was halfway through school that I suddenly felt that social services was my calling. After ten years in that field, I burned out on every level. That field can take such an emotional toll after awhile. Then I discovered that I was a pretty damn good teacher and thought, why not? So here I am today...teaching. It's not the craziest job I've ever had (that title belongs to my days working in residential treatment). However, teaching is right up there with all the good, the bad, and the ugly. Education has an underbelly, or rather a dark side, but the pure joy of imparting wisdom to children can't be beat.

In my personal life, I have to say that though I've made been on a rollercoaster of a relationships. Some have been heaven-sent, while others have been complete disasters. My hubby and kids make me laugh, smile, and cry like it's nobody's business...which is part of the package we call family. All in all, I think things have turned out alright for the first 34 years of my life. It's a bit crazy sometimes, but I have faith that everything happens for a reason. I know that sounds so cliche, but it's so true. Okay, enough reflection! Mirrors are overrated anyway...:)

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

You so eloquently state my own feelings on being in my 30s. It's a great time and it will only get better.

It is 12:01 a.m. here in Houston, which means it's officially your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my dearest, best, and most cherished friend.