Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's an Obamanation!

I would be remiss if I didn't take a moment to acknowledge the remarkable events of this past week. As many of you already know, I work in a melting pot (multilingual and multicultural immersion school) so I have been enveloped in the inaugural activities and historical aspects. First off, we paused on Monday to remember and honor Martin Luther King Jr. for his legacy and his dream. Then we have the amazing coincidence of the swearing in of the first African-American President the very next day. Barack Obama is the 44th President to take the oath of office and what a road he has ahead of him. There has been a tremendous amount of hope and hype placed on his shoulders.

Not only does he inherit a troubled economy, two wars, and a host of other national issues...but expectations are sky-high. It is my sincere hope that people remember that while his win was amazing and long overdue, he is still just one man and will not be perfect. If we have learned anything from the Bush years, it is that anything can and will happen. No President is infallible. I fear that liberals will expect miracles and conservatives will pounce on any little mistake. It is a waiting game at this point. We are definitely at a crossroads that should take in a more positive direction, but I still hope we still proceed with caution into the future and don't make too many hasty changes without thought to the consequences. We have many fences to mend around the world, but Obama has the right stuff to see us through.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Yes, in the midst of my post-partum haze, I was able to watch the inauguration with my family. They sure are putting him on a super-high pedestal and he's got to be nervous about that. We'll, I'll be praying a lot these next 4 years!