Thursday, January 15, 2009

This bug's for you...

Mush alert!!! I am tired and feeling nostalgic. Don't say I didn't warn you.


A fateful thing happened back in the winter of 2000 that led to a long and and emotional relationship I would come to cherish. Thanks to one of DH's best friends, dear Brian, I became hooked on a little show called CSI. I had been watching another show on CBS at the time called Survivor, maybe you've heard of it? Anyway, when 9:00 hit, I usually turned the channel. Brian had been hanging out from time to time with us on Thursday evenings after his class. We would watch Survivor and he told DH and I about this new show that just HAD to see. We resisted for awhile, not really wanting to get into some new random show that was already in midseason.


One night, we finally caved and decided to watch an episode to give it a chance. What a night we picked as first introduction to the CSI family. If you are a fan of the show at all, you might recall the episode called "Gentle, Gentle." Grissom and company investigate the abduction and subsequent death of an infant. The family was under suspicion for their potential involvement. Being a new mother of a baby myself, you can imagine the impact this episode made on me. When it airs in reruns, I still have trouble watching it. Even DH got a little choked up and worried about me that night. Although it was just a fictional TV show, it rattled me a way that was both disturbing and intriguing. With the notable exception ER, there were very few dramas that caught my attention. Thus, began a long and morbid fascination with CSI.


In the years since, I have come to love a few other shows. The sitcom is currently on the outs so the pickens are slim in that department, so that leaves primarily the crime dramas and serial soaps on the WB. I am currently a devoted fan of Law & Order SVU. Though there is something extra special about the folks on CSI. You become attached to the characters over time. What is so unique about this show is that they focus mainly on the crime they are trying to solve, with only minimal glimpes into the lives of the CSIs. And yet, they still manage to draw you in.


The near death episode with Nick buried alive and attacked by fire ants (and directed by Quentin Tarantino I believe) still haunts me to this day. When Greg was beaten and Katherine woke up drugged in a strange bed, you really felt their anguish and cheered for their speedy recovery. The rollercoaster season of the miniature killer will go down in televsion history as one of the best and most chilling. Sara's slow descent after her traumatic experience in the desert was moving in every way. And then there was Warrick. How could they just go and kill him like that?! To shoot him in the head was just WRONG.


I just finished watching Grissom's final episode. He was the only character to survive the series, essentially unscathed. Always level-headed and logical, he reminded me a little bit of Spock. I will miss the bugman, William Petersen. I won't miss the endless references to his fascination with creepy crawlies, but he will leave big shoes to fill. After an intense, but brief friendship forged in the name of bringing a serial killer to justice...we say goodbye to an old friend and hello to a new member of the team. Lawrence Fishburne (great choice!) will likely give CSI new legs and provide fresh storylines. The show may be aging, but it's still got teeth. I hope it sticks around awhile longer.


And thank you to the writers and powers that be for bringing Sara back for one last moment with Grissom. I had been hoping for her to be there. Their reunion was a fitting end to Grissom's run. How sweet it is. And yes, I cried. And yes, I know I'm sucker for sappy endings. Pop in any episode of Little House and watch the tears flow. Thanks Brian, for getting me hooked.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

CSI is the best! I watch the re-runs all the time on Spike TV. I must admit though that now that Warrick and Grissom are over and out, I don't think I'll bother with the series anymore. I hate it when they change major characters and expect it to go on like it always did. Just not the same for me.