Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Heart Day!

I somehow thought sitting here on a Saturday morning would somehow inspire me to write a thoughtful blog about Valentine's Day. Instead, I am berating myself for all the things I have wanted to do since last summer and instead have swept those things under the carpet. Life gets in the way a lot during the school year and that bothers me. We are so active and busy when the kids and I are during the summer months and then become very much homebodies during the colder months. I realize this is not uncommon, but it still bugs me.



I've been so preoccupied with work (it's parent conferences and report card time) and all the upheaval in our lives (family deaths and floods) recently that I feel as though we have put living on hold. The kids came into our bedroom this morning and asked us, "what're we going to do to celebrate St. Valentine's Day?" We both felt immediately bad that we hadn't planned anything special to do with the kids. Our plan was to take them to the babysitter and enjoy some alone time on a date out. We hadn't thought beyond their school parties. I had planned mini-celebrations with my students by doing art activities and giving out little candies. Hubby and I had planned out our night out. What about my own two kiddos?



In my defense, I helped them with their cards for school, made them each a Valentine card with lots of love, and we went out as a family for dinner on Friday night. However, I still feel guilty for not planning anything for the day of love. Hubby and I decided that maybe we'd take them to the downtown area and visit an old-fashioned soda fountain shop and walk around a bit. They love that kind of thing and it's close by. K and I discovered the place last summer and have been wanting to go back. Anyway, guilt is gone now and my kids know they mean the world to us. I just want to make sure I don't let work and other glitches in life take over the simple things that bring us joy.


Hope everyone has a very happy heart day!

No comments: