Monday, February 16, 2009

Weekend Rewind

Okay, so our Valentine's plans didn't pan out quite the way we intended, but it all worked out pretty well anyhow. We got a late start on the day and just didn't feel up to a day on the town, so we promised to make it up to the kids later and vowed to bring them home a special treat later that night if they were good at the babysitters.

DH and I dropped them off and then went to a local watering hole that has that whole sports bar and grill vibe, complete with big TVs playing various sporting events. This place was first class all the way, complete with cardboard six pack that held condiments instead of alcoholic beverages. They did put out red carnations at each table though in honor of Valentine's Day, which was a nice touch. We thought about going somewhere fancier, but opted for something more casual so we could just relax and be us.


Since we got there fairly early, they weren't very busy yet. We stuffed ourselves pretty good, so we decided we had better walk around a bit. It was getting chilly, so we thought it was best to do so inside. We stopped at the local cell phone store, but I couldn't settle on anything just yet. I'm uber picky about this. Our night out was capped off with a trip to Lowe's for to get some items for various home improvement projects we have undertaken. I tell ya, there is nothing more romantic than a stroll through their "Tool World."


In exchange for my infinite patience, DH agreed to rent me a movie of my choice and we also bought the kids Journey to the Center of the Earth. They had been wanting to see that movie since it first came out in theaters. We also treated them to chocolate frosties from Wendy's.


Sunday was pretty sedate as I spent much of it grading papers and getting errands ran. It was nice to have today off with the kids. I kicked myself out of bed and finished up the last of my grading pile. What a relief that was! Then I took the N and K out for lunch at the soda fountain downtown I'd been promising to take them to. We each enjoyed sandwiches and waffle cones (the kids-bubblegum, me-rocky road). Then we walked around and visited a couple of nearby shops. They each got a couple of little trinkets at this neat little toy store and a shiny rock from an elemental shop to add to their budding rock collections.


I forgot to bring my camera, but it was a day that I definitely took mental snapshots of to keep in my memory. It reminded me of the many little exursions the kids and I take during the summer months. Definitely makes me look forward to the warmer weather ahead.

No comments: