Sunday, May 30, 2010

Thank Him for Small Favors

So as if spring hasn't been busy enough, the month of May has been one to remember. DH has really struggled with medical issues. It all started a couple weeks ago when he accidentally forgot to turn on the parking brake. We were dropping the kids off with our childcare provider, whose driveway is on an incline. Our truck began to roll backwards with myself and DH still partially inside. Thankfully the kids were already out. DH tried to stop it the truck, but as he struggled he lost his footing and fell. His foot became entangled and he was seconds from getting his leg run over. Somehow he managed to get that brake and stop the darn thing. All of our hearts skipped a beat that morning and thanked God for small favors. It all happened so fast that we could barely react.

Afterwards, DH began to complain of back pain. He's had a bad back for quite some time, but occasionally he tweaks it and makes it hurt worse. DH didn't want to go to the doctor, so he just dealt with it. Then the following week (this past Tuesday), he said his back was really aching, so finally he saw a doctor. This doctor also prescribed some high blood pressure medicatoin for him. DH left work early and came home after the appointment. A half hour after hetook thenew med, he started having severe chest pains and was advised to go to the hospital. As I'm on my way home from work, he calls me to have me meet him at the ER.

So let me paint the picture for you so you get my mindset...DH says he's having chest pains and needs to go to the ER pronto. Did he call 911? Did he go to nearest hospital? Did he wait the extra 10 minutes for me to get home to drive him? No, no, and no. DH and our two kids got in the truck and headed to the hospital located about 15 miles away in the middle of rush hour traffic. He forgot his headset, so we couldn't communicate. I drive like a bat outta hell to get to the hospital. I was quickly becoming an emotional wreck. Miraculously, I caught up to DH on the freeway and followed him the rest of the way. Due to the traffic gridlock, DH opted to take backroads to the hospital. Unfortunately, this ended up taking twice as long. I kept thinking he's suffering a heart attack and just prayed he and the kids got there in one piece. Oh what long drive that was!

Finally, we arrived at the ER. We waited several minutes in line for triage and then they got him in pretty quickly after that. The kids and I sat in the waiting area for quite some time without word, so I got them a snack in the vending machine to keep them happy. A little while later, I asked them if we could go see DH. We were grateful to get to hang out in his cramped little room. I found him hooked up to all kinds of wires and machines, including a heart monitor and an IV drip. He was looking pretty tired and and was just watching TV ("Enemy of the State").

By 8:30, we knew we were in for a long night as we waited for the doctors to run their tests. I called my boss to let her know what was going on and that I probably needed a sub for the next day. She said the best thing she could've said to me in that moment, "Don't worry about anything, we'll take care of it." I also made a few other calls to DH's mom and my mom to let them know what was happening. My mom helped me to keep it together (thanks mama!) Then I took the kids to the cafeteria for a late dinner. That gave us a second wind to get through the next couple of hours. Since it was a school night, I was constantly worried about time and wanted to get them home.

By 10:00 pm, the doctor informed us that DH would need to stay overnight for observation and more tests. At about 11:30 pm, he was officially admitted to the hospital and was given a room on the 6th floor. The kids and I hung around as long as we could, but we were all exhausted and decided to go home for the night. I went to give DH a big hug and said, "Happy Anniversary honey." He laughed weakly and said the same. Oh yeah, did I mention this all happened on our anniversary?

After more drama of trying to find the cars we so hastily parked in short-term physician parking, I had to move the truck to another spot so it wouldn't get towed. We took my car home and the kids were asleep in the car almost instantly. I called my best friend, Shelley, who knew exactly how to help me let it all out and that wonderfuly quirky sense of humor made me laugh. She was exactly the spoonful of sugar that I needed.

The next morning, I got the kids off to school and headed back to the hospital. DH was away from his room when I arrived, getting a stress test. I brought along some of my work and set about grading papers to pass the time. DH was given every test under the sun, ended up staying most of the day, and was finally discharged mid-afternoon without any conclusive answers as to what caused his chest pains. It was frustrating, but at least DH would recover just fine. We were both pretty tired by the time we got home.

During the night in hospital, DH had been alternately been given morphine and vicodin for pain. Both slowed his whole system down, so his recovery would be slow-going. I made a couple trips to the pharmacy and did what I could to help. The kids were real troopers throughout the whole ordeal, so that alone was a huge relief. We both took Thursday off work as well. DH needed more time to recuperate and I was honestly just wiped out emotionally and physically. I managed to sneak in some work so I felt somewhat productive. I also cleaned the house and sorted through some serious stacks of paper that had been in dire need of attention.

We both returned to work by Friday. I was inundated with stuff to catch up on and felt the pressure of grading and report cards breathing down my neck. Some people don't even begin to worry about them until the week they're due, but I need more time then that so I start early. On Saturday, my parents drove up for a visit (all the way from Bend) and volunteered to take the kids overnight so DH and I could enjoy a date night. They took the kids to their hotel to swim and play, while DH and I celebrated our anniversary belatedly with dinner and a movie. We ate at Olive Garden, perused a bookstore we love, and then saw Ironman 2 (great movie btw). It was one of the best dates we've had in years and helped put the all of the events of the past week in perspective.

I think this quote sums up it up best...

"A simple grateful thought turned heavenwards is the most perfect prayer."
~Doris Lessing



4 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like a very intense and scary week. I'm glad he's okay and that it ended on a high note.

Lawfrog said...

I'm glad I could help in what was a very, very stressful situation. We need a vacation pronto! You know, a new hotel just opened in Vegas (Aria)...:) Love you and keep your head up, summer is almost here.

Kristin said...

WOW -- how scary for you all! I'm glad that he is OK. I know what you mean -- we all need to slow down at times and be GRATEFUL.

Unknown said...

Glad everything turned out alright. What an ordeal!