Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Twists of Fate

First of all, the sun finally came out. It's not what you'd call hot, but the mugginess has faded and there is a cool breeze. Just right. That has made a huge difference in my overall mood and it has enabled the kids to get outside to play more. We've out and about a lot this week running endless errands and going to job interviews (well, just two so far). Last week, I went to three interviews...I'm getting pretty adept at my answers, but am running out of interview apparel. I have certain outfits set aside that I try to wear only for this purpose...about three or four variations I can put together in the event I have to launder them in between interviews...but I digress.

So I have been worrying about how this whole thing will play out when the time comes for me to accept a job. The obvious answer would be to take the first offer to come my way. A job is a job, right? Well, sort of. In order for for me to keep my license, I have to work a certain number of hours as a teacher. I also need to do so that I can gain the necessary experience that I've been told I lack. I've lost out on a couple of great jobs in recent months for this very reason. They tell me that I "almost had the job but they decided to go with the other guy who had just a couple more years of experience than me." So that is when I went on this current mission to get ANYTHING that will give me what I need and still earn enough to survive. I am still applying to various school districts as positions become available and cross my fingers. July is dead month since most administrators are on vacation, but August supposedly is when things really pick up. I am also still awaiting word on these most recent interviews.

So last week I had an interview with a really sweet group and meshed really well with them. The gal in charge turned out to be the younger sister of a guy I went to school with in my hometown. Not just any guy, but someone I had known since 1st grade and had competed with and against in various sports over the years. He wasn't a friend or foe per se, but one of those kids you grow up with and still know. He ran with a different crowd so to speak. Small world though, eh?

So I'm thinking this will either hurt me or help me. She was supposed to call me about the job on Monday, but I didn't hear from her until today (Wed.). I assumed it was another rejection call. To my utter delight, she offered me the job...first offer I've gotten all year! Here's the catch though. In the initial interview, she made her concerns known about whether I would jump ship for an elementary school job offer that might come later. She had another staff that had done this, so she was concerned about causing more upheaval for the kids. I told her I could understand why.

So when she made the offer, she asked me straight up what my intentions were regarding this matter...I just didn't have it in me to lie, given the circumstances. I had been all set to accept her offer and say whatever I needed to. Well, in this case, honesty really was the best policy. Knowing her on a more personal level made it impossible for me to be anything but truthful. I said that I had been looking into the school district jobs and was waiting to hear back on some. I also told her I understood that she had to do what was best for her center, but also would like to work for them. At this point, I couldn't say what would happen beyond that. That's when she came back with a counter offer. She said the staff really loved me and she didn't want to lose me, but instead of being the Lead Teacher, would I be interested in co-teaching the class...with the understanding that I might leave at some point...this would alleviate the disruption and still allow me to work for them in the same basic capacity. I said absolutely to that offer. She also made addendum to this offer...she'd call me back in two weeks to get my final answer and maybe keep looking for other staff. Interesting how fate can step in like that.

At first, I regretted being so open and honest. After discussing things with hubby, he made me realize I had done the right thing. He understood how badly I would've felt if I had accepted the job outright and then turn around and quit for something better. This way, she knows exactly where I stand and is still willing to offer me a position. To be brutally honest, I probably wouldn't have such a moral dilemma about jumping ship if I didn't know the people. I just couldn't do this somebody I have a history with. Doesn't necessarily earn me brownie points, but I feel like it was the right call. Who knows, I may not ever get that call from a school district, but I am not giving up hope just yet. August is right around the corner and there are still plenty of options open. Time will tell if this was a good move. I'll keep ya posted.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

It was absolutely the best way to handle this and I am proud of you for being open and honest. Congrats on getting the offer too, that is awesome.:)