Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Elephants and Donkeys

It's interesting how voters come out of the woodwork every four years to get their ballots in. I must confess...I can be one of those bandwagon voters. I usually am too wrapped up in life to pay very close attention to Washington politics. However, I have turned out for the occasional local and stateside elections for important ballot measures and bonds. Maybe it's the onslaught of political ads and endless mudslinging that pulls people out of their stupor. Who knows? I think it's a good thing when we exercise our right to vote and try not to take it for granted. We are indeed lucky to have such a basic right and a small say in how our government is run, whether we get our way or not...our voices can still be heard.


I am the penultimate fencewalker. It's not that I vote whichever way the wind blows, but rather I like to weigh both sides of an issue or a candidate. Call me thorough, call me picky, call me indecisive, as all are probably true (depending on the choices at hand). Another irony in my life is that I am surrounded by people from such diverse backgrounds and belief systems. My parents are pretty laid back and liberal-minded for the most part. My grandparents were always very conservative and oh don't ever get my grandma started on Clinton. My husband and best friend are both very open-minded and fall into the Democratic camp. Some of our closest family friends and even my childcare provider are steadfast Republicans with strong faiths. With all of this diversity, I feel that I've acquired a balanced perspective when it comes to politics. Maybe that is why I consider myself an Independent at heart.

So how do I make a decision about who ought to be our next President of the United States? Believe me when I tell you that I've listened to convincing arguments for and against both nominees. McCain has the experience, independent judgment, and kanunas to lead this country. There is no doubt in my mind that he could do the job. His military background certainly qualify him to understand this war like nobody's business. His age, crusty demeanor, association with Bush, and a major disconnect from a large part of the population are definite drawbacks for him. Palin could make or break his campaign. His wife is also not very likeable.

Obama has a charming presence, is a gifted orator, has the political expertise (if limited), and has a definite vision for this country. After years of a Bush administration, Obama represents what a lot of people are looking for, including a timetable to bring this war to an end. He is also smart enough to surround himself with knowledgeable advisors. No one man has all the answers. I have to add that I really like how down to earth Michelle Obama is. He also has those connections with some unsavory characters (to what extent is still in question) and has some scary tax ideas. Perhaps the most unfortunate coincidence Obama has faced in this election process has been been his association (in name only) with Osama Bin Laden (ne the Obama Biden ticket). Not necessarily a good reason to rule him out, but some people have. I have to compliment both men though for refusing to play the race or gender card as no one wants to win in such a manner. I'm sure they want to win this election on their own merit.


What makes me happy me most excited about this year is that I don't feel that either nominee is a bad choice. I think both would do a kick a little Washingto arse. That may an opinion in the minority, but that's the beauty of this country, we agree to disagree and still toast our glasses to democracy. I will not reveal here who my vote will be going to as I am still not 100% committed to my choice. While I am leaning one one direction more than the other, I plan to sit down this weekend to fill out my mail-in ballot when I can focus all my energies on it. Tuesday night will be one for the record books, either way.

No comments: