Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Bon Appetit

Okay, I must confess that I have a sweet tooth. I am one of those people who just can't say no to the things I love. I don't think I fall into the category of overdoing it, but I do have my binge days. There are so many treats out there to choose from. It's easy to identify sinful treats like the beignets and chocolate anything, but what about appetizers? Desserts are decadent for sure, but then there are the the foods that trap us into upping the caloric count for an otherwise adequate meal.

Some of the most irresistable foods that I can't say no to are chips and salsa. When the waitress brings us the basket of chips and the little cup of salsa to dip in, my mouth actually waters. The salsa should be chunky and spicy, none of that store-bought kind. Homemade is best. You can definitely tell the difference. Call me crazy, but I often judge a Mexican restaurant by how good their chips and salsa are. Mmmm, yummy stuff. Once I finish them off, there is often little room for lunch or dinner. Some other favorites include the bloomin' onion from Outback Steakhouse, mozarella sticks from wherever, BBQ pork dipped in hot mustard and sesame seeds from a Chinese restaurant, or a hot cup of clam chowder from Mo's on the Oregon coast. Okay, now I'm hungry.

No comments: