Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Making beautiful music

There is a delightful little scene in the movie, Stepmom, that really resonates with me. The moody daughter is pouting about something in her room and hears music blaring from somewhere in the house. She follows the sounds until she finds her mom (Susan Sarandon) and kid brother lipsyncing along to "Ain't no mountain high enough." The daughter gets sucked into the fun and they proceed to frolic around the room. Using a hairbrush, shampoo bottle, and such to use as pretend microphones, they dance throughout the house without a care in the world. It immediately cheers up the daughter and is a lovely scene.

Well, after staying up way too late the night before, I took a long time to get up this morning. My kids futile attempts to get me up just made me want to pull my pillow over my head and get back to dreamland. Eventually, I gave up and realized that it was two against one and sleep was a faraway goal at that point. I finally drag my sorry butt outta bed and fix them breakfast. My kids bug me to make muffins and beg to help. Well, I was sick of having the television on and decided I was in the mood for music. I had just watched Flashdance yesterday and needed to get my yayas out.

Well, I decided to blast the Dixie Chicks song "The Long Way Around." We had an absolute ball. My son thought I had lost it and complained about the music. My daughter however was in heaven. We bounced around the kitchen as we twirled together. We danced through the house and eventually won my son over and got him to join in on our carefree fun. We kept dancing and had a grand time making our apple cinnamon muffins. It struck me as ironic that our magical little moment was so like the one in the movie. It was spontaneous and definitely a memory to tuck away in my heart. If you've never heard the song before, check it out on my Myspace site at http://www.myspace.com/dauphyfan.

No comments: