Thursday, August 21, 2008

Interiority Complex

Okay, so I made up the word 'cause it sounded good with Inferiority Complex. That's what I'm having though. Part of my stress as I slowly declutter my home is that I see how wonderfully decorated other homes appear. I see something in a store that would look amazing on the wall or a table, but usually can't afford it or it would somehow clash with my other knick knacks. My decorating style is eclectic at best. I do what I can, but I have zero skills in the design department. To toot my own horn for a second, I know that I am artistic, resourceful, and have an eye for how things should be arranged...but I can't decorate my house to save my life. Part of my problem is that I am too indecisive. I love many styles and themes, but can't stick with one thing for long. Forever I have wanted to decorate our home with a Japanese influence. Thankfully, hubby is fine with that, once we can afford to do it. I know where I can get many things that will suit my tastes, but am I getting impatient with the money part. We transitioned out of the college lifestyle where Goodwill was my early designer. I've bequeathed many an item in recent years to the next generation of young families. What is especially frustrating is how talented my SIL is in this department. I saw some professional photos taken of her and her family recently in their home. Her tastes are minimalist and simple, but very elegant. She just has a gift for this sort of thing. She has her nose in the air at times, but the woman has the midas touch for making her home look fabulous. I look around at my own cluttered, hodge podge of hand-me-downs and feel inferior. I know I shouldn't, but it's difficult when you aspire to decorate in a more contemporary style. I even surfed the net and window shopped several sites for ideas and items to buy. I didn't get anything, but was certainly tempted. Everytime I finish one organizational project and feel proud of myself, I see another part of the house that needs work. This takes the wind out of my sails. I think I need to invite one of those design shows on HGTV to come out and do our home. Now there's an idea...=)

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

YAH, you changed your blog background. VERY NICE, I love it:)