Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wonders of the West

I spent the this past weekend camping with my kids and good friends. We drove up to Eight Mile Loop Campground, located near Mt. Hood. We were lucky to get a campsite right next to a creek, so the kids had a blast exploring the area. The outhouse just far enough away that we couldn't smell it, but close enough that the walk was short. N and K loved roasting marshmellows and eating s'mores (my favorite thing when camping). K got filthy while playing in the dirt, while N just got wet from wading in the creek. As we sat around the campfire, I breathed in the beautiful scenery and realized again how much I love Oregon's trees. The kids loved going on a hike upstream, giving them a chance to further explore the woods. N was afraid of the dark and the prospect of cougars sneaking up on us. I assured him that we would be fine. Sleeping in the tent was a special treat for them as well. I struggled getting it up, but thank goodness for my friends who were quite helpful. More than anything else, I absolutely loved having all nine kids together in one place to just cut loose and have fun. Hubby had some work obligations, so he stayed home. However, I'm grateful we went and for the rich opportunities that my kids get when we play in the great outdoors.


So I sat down tonight to watch an episode of Law and Order: SVU, but decided to flip during the commercial break. I stopped on the Travel Channel to watch a piece on Death Valley. It turned out to be a special called Top Ten Wonders of the West. Needless to say, I got sucked in. I have traveled to many places in this country, but there is so much more to see that I never even conisdered. After watching this special, I wanted to start planning a travel itinerary now so I can look forward to future vacations with my family. Now being a native Oregonian, I was pleased that a number of places from my state were included on the show. I can't wait to see some of these other ones though. It was interesting to note how the show pointed out the ever-present dangers of each destination alongside the positives. Here is the list in backwards order and some of the highlights from the show:


Death Valley, CA -harsh and hot climate with temps upwards of 120 degrees or more; lowest spot on Earth; beautiful landscape


Columbia River Gorge, OR - lush greenery; one of the highest concentrations of waterfalls in the world including Multnomah Falls, windtunnel is huge attraction for extreme sports


Arches National Park, UT - gorgeous natural rock formations; spiritual place for some, great for off-road biking

Carlsbad Caverns, NM - amazing crystalized caves; fun to explore the deep in the underbelly of the earth

Channel Islands, CA - pristine stretch of shoreline teeming with wildlife; affectionately referred to as "California's Galapagos Islands"


Mt. Hood, OR - snow-capped mountain resort surrounded by forest land and glaciers; treacherous landscape and temperatures; historic Timberline Lodge


Redwoods National Park, CA - tallest and oldest trees that can grow to heights of 35 stories and live between 600-2000 years; nestled next to ocean as well

Yosemite National Park, CA - a collection of waterfalls, mountains, and breathtaking vistas; a glacier-carved canyon is complimented by meadows and streams; one of the most recognizable landscapes in the worlds; El Capitan

Yellowstone National Park, CA - lays one of the most dangerous volcanos in the USA; filled with active over 10,000 geysers and hot springs, home of Old Faithful; filled with roaming wildlife such as buffalo, antelope, and grizzly bears, every kind of landscape you can ask for

Grand Canyon, AZ - the stunning vistas and vastness of the landscape takes visitors breath away, whitewater rafting, hiking, and painted canyon views are big draws, carved by the Colorado River over millions of years is a geological wonder

No comments: