Thursday, August 07, 2008

Which is the right path?

For those of you who have followed my foray into teaching know how challenging the process has been for me. The path to finding a job had been almost as rocky a road. Upon graduating from my teaching program, I thought that I would have no problem getting hired in the district I had worked for the last three years. All of my references and contacts gave me glowing reviews, but that did nothing for me in terms of securing a job, let alone interviews. It was a rude awakening for me to say the least. I learned quickly that I was going to have to branch out if I had any hopes of finding a position. The interviews were slowly trickling in over the course of the summer, but it wasn't until early August that I finally found a school willing to give me a chance. Most of the other places liked me well enough, but felt that I lacked experience (they were right about that) and that cost me many positions. I have a uncanny knack for coming in second for many of the jobs. My thought at that time was "how does one gain experience if no one will provide you a place to get it?" Yes, I was naive and still wet behind the ears in the education world. My previous years of experience in social services meant very little in this new world that felt I still needed to pay my dues.


After completing my first year of teaching, both hubby and I wholeheartedly believed that this time things would be different in my job search. After all, I finally had that coveted experience that I had lacked last year. My last position was only a one year temporary contract, so I was back to square one. Unfortunately, the road to finding a job hunting process was even more challenging this time around. The various HR people kept telling me that it was an amazingly competitive year (just my luck) and that for every position posted, about 100-300 people would apply (depending on the district). I had a handful of interviews out of the myriad of places I applied to. I lost count a long time ago on exactly how many jobs I applied for, but it's safe to say it's a lot. Again, I faced the same problem as last year. I could come close, but no cigar so to speak.
Then I got a series of interviews all within a three day span. It definitely seemed as though my luck was changing for the better. I had two interviews (for one job) in one noteworthy district and another interview for a private school. Well, I found out rather quickly that I was their second choice (deju vu), but this spot wouldn't work out...however they wanted me to interview for another position they were posting. I didn't hold my breath as a week went by and I heard nothing. I got a call from the private school. The director offered me the position and I leaped at the chance. She told me in a meeting that I was selected out of some 80 applicants. They felt I would fit in well with their staff and loved my passion for language arts (the focus of the job).


My joy was short-lived when I got another call to come interview for the district that had just turned me down. The superintendent liked me and wanted to get me in somehow. I agreed to come to another interview and the stress of what might happen set in. Now I realize that I don't have another offer on the table yet and I tend to overanalyze things, but I knew I needed to strongly consider the pros and cons of both jobs, should an offer be made available. Here I had this great job offer (which I already accepted) at a private language immersion school to teach English. Language Arts is my area of strength and my favorite subject to teach (along with Social Studies). I really like friendly staff and the fact that I'll be teaching several grades. It will be a fantastic opportunity to learn and grow as a teacher in a position I am sure to love. If this district interview had only come a week earlier. It has been stressing me out in a good way I guess. Then this morning I got another interview request for nearby district. A principal from last year that interviewed me twice for two different spots last summer, wanted to see me again. Maybe third time would be the charm. It's not like I have two solid offers from either district yet, but it still is food for thought.

On the one hand, the district jobs would provide a good salary, great benefits, and the potential for longevity. We want to eventually live in the district in which I'll work at, so the kids and I have the same school schedule. The only con I can honestly think of is that I would have to teach all subjects, juggling task that I am still learning to do. I know I would get my groove though and do fine. Then there is the private school position that I am already committed to. I have not signed an official contract yet, but there is a verbal agreement in place. The benefits and pay aren't good as the district jobs. The commute would be a challenge, but hubby and I could commute together to save gas. My days would be longer though to fit his hours. It would be an amazing place to work though, that I'm sure of. Not only are the staff very welcoming, but they are an international mix of professionals. People hail from England, Japan, China, Latin America, and many other places. The position is very rare and unique, so that is where my biggest dilemma lies. The school offers language full immersion tracks in three languages. I would be teaching English to small groups of students of all grade levels. I would collaborate with a team, so I wouldn't be left in the wind on my own like last year. Yet, there would be lots of autonomy to create lessons on my own as I see fit. My mom suggested I consider what regrets I would have if I didn't take this opportunity now. She said regardless of the timing, the districts would be there in the future. I am inclined to agree with her. In case you were wondering, I am writing this blog as it helping me sort out my own thoughts on the matter. It would be hard to say no to a district position if one were to come my way (part of me doesn't want to deal with the possibility), but I am already feeling a loyalty to this job. That says something to me.

1 comment:

Richard Jennings said...

Two new job sites where just added to the About.com top ten employment site list:

http://www.linkedin.com
http://www.realmatch.com

Give them a try....