Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Trannies, Soda Jerks, and Elves


So today was a perfect example of a how a day can be split down the middle in terms of good and bad. It began as any other day as I get the kids up and gave them breakfast. I dropped them off at the babysitter so that I could take the car into get the transmission serviced. The mechanic called me out to the shop to show me the pan to show me the metal chunks and scrapings that were in it. That coupled with the strange sounds my car has been making for the last month are signs that the tranny is going south. He said I was going to need to get it rebuilt very soon. Unfortunately, the warranty doesn't cover one that "is going" only ones that are "already dead." Nice, huh? I had them finish the service and went on my merry way. We are going to look into trading it in for a new car in the very near future.

The morning was full of lousy news about my car, but things started looking up around lunchtime. I got a call for another job interview. I accepted it and now find myself in a pickle. If I am offered this position, I'll have to choose between a great school district job with all the trimmings and the position that I recently said yes to that would enable me to teach my favorite subject to all elementary grade levels in a private school. It's definitely one of those situations that I'll have to make list of the pros and cons for. However, hubby is right in telling me not to count my chickens before they hatch. Anyhow, I picked up the kids and headed home for about an hour and a half to rest.

In the afternoon, I dropped N off for his art class and took K to the downtown fountain to play in the water. A bunch of kids from the Boys and Girls Club showed up and mass chaos ensued. It was difficult to keep track of K with all the children running around, but she held her own with the bigger ones. I sat and read a book, while she had a blast getting soaked. After melting in the sun for over an hour, K and I walked around a bit downtown to a nearby shop to get a fountain drink at an ol' fashioned soda shop. It was fun splitting a blackberry milkshake with her as we sat on stools. It even had a collection of classic Coca Cola memorabilia lining the shelves to give it that nostalgic feel. The only thing the place was missing was a soda jerk. It was still a charming little shop and I'll definitely be back with the kids for treats. We saved some for N when we picked up from his class. He drank it in about two minutes. When we got home, the kids ran amok in the driveway on their scooters. I collapsed in a chair, feeling quite drained. Unfortunately, I didn't get to sit for long as the kids were getting hungry for dinner. It was already after 5 o'clock.


After getting the kids and myself some dinner, I watched a rerun of Friends. Hubby came home in a very giddy mood. He told me that he had submitted his name in some sort of raffle thingie through the makers of World of Warcraft. He got a confirmation today that he was one a handful of people selected to be a beta tester for the newest expansion pack for WoW called "Wrath of the Lich King." It's kind of like being a Neilsen family that rates TV shows as a sampling of what people are watching. He was excited not only because he won this great thing, but also because he'll be one of the first people to play this new addition to WoW. A few months ago, this wouldn't have been a big deal to me. Now that I've played this addictive game for awhile now, I get can understand his excitement. My hubby is one of those people who love standing in line forever to see a big action flick on opening night, just to be one of the first ones to do so. Anyway, I probably won't see much of him this weekend as he'll be sucked even deeper into WoW realm of elves, orcs, and gnomes. Go figure.

No comments: