Thursday, November 06, 2008

Ohmmm...

Small victories are always cause for celebration in my book. Case in point, the classroom space issues I've been dealing with since the beginning of school have drove me nearly to the breaking point. It is hard to fully explain just how tiny my teaching space truly is when you factor in the number of students who have to learn in there. As much as I like my job, the stress of the sacrifices and amount "stuff" (insert the other word here) on my plate have made it more than challenging to do my job well. With report cards, conferences, lesson planning and prep, grading, meetings, and a thousand other things to do, I can feel the walls closing in. Most of all, I hate how much my job is intruding on my personal life and is starting to affect my health. It's like I can't get that place outta my head once I leave.

I won't bore you with all the petty stuff, but suffice it to say it is time for me find my happy place. I contemplated even calling in to take a mental health day to unwind my cluttered mind. I begrudgingly worked anyway and continued to whittle away at my to-do list with a killer sinus headache. Then I noticed the business manager who has been occupying what is supposed to eventually be our English office. He was moving his stuff out and oh did my heart to the happy dance! This means that I can finally have some storage space and get it out of my classroom! It may be a small thing, but it makes a huge difference. As they say in feng shui, "balance the energies of any given space to assure the health and good fortune for people inhabiting it." Maybe now I'll stop tripping over my bag. Oh happy Day!

2 comments:

Lawfrog said...

I REALLY hope you get the space you need. I wouldn't blame you for calling in for a mental health day. You sure have earned it. Hang in there!!

Clint said...

Oh can I relate! As a half time teacher I am "homeless" and I teach in other teachers rooms on their prep. My van is my storage unit.