Saturday, November 08, 2008

Stop the killing!

I have a bone to pick with the writers of various television shows that have graced our small screens over the last umpteen years. Somebody goes to the trouble of creating of a fabulous show only to kill off some of their most beloved characters. Now call me nitpicky, but I fail to understand the entertainment value in that. It definitely helps their ratings spike temporarily, but sometimes a show tends to spiral downward on the heels of said offing. Case in point, (spoiler alert) I missed most of last season's Ghost Whisperer and have made a valiant effort to get back into it. Just as Melinda's supernatural adventures suck me back in, her hubby gets shot and dies! According to the previews, he will supposedly return in his ghostly form. How long his stint will last at this point remains as much of a mystery as the reason for killing him in the first place. This is the second such character they have killed in this show's short life. Remember Melinda's best friend's (Aisha Tyler) demise at the end of season one? This does not sit well with fans.


I realize that sometimes an actor or actress wants to leave a show, but why can't writer's have a graceful exit strategy that leaves the door open for a return appearance if they so desire? Anthony Edwards (Dr. Green) on ER suffered a long bout with cancer and so viewers were well-prepared for the inevitable outcome. In true Hollywood fashion, he'll be making a brief cameo in a flashback episode to air next week. CSI has a 50/50 history of this practice. When Jorja Fox (Sara Sidle) wanted out of her contract, they left the door open for her return to Grissom's life. We thought maybe she would die after having the miniature killer got a hold of her, but much to our relief she escaped alive. She did suffer psychological trauma from that experience that caused her to eventually leave, but we were again, well-prepared for her exit. Then came the shocking death of Gary Dourdan (Warrick Brown). He will not be back. He's done. Jorja Fox even returned to honor him.

Television history is full of examples. Some characters we are sorry to see go and others we barely bat an eyelash over. The one that sticks out the most in my mind is during one of 2000 season of ER. Lucy Knight (Kellie Martin) and Dr. Carter (Noah Wyle) are both stabbed by a mental patient and left to die. Carter survives, but Lucy does not. As a huge fan of her and of the show during that time, it truly frustrated me and I began to lose interest after awhile. I have tuned in periodically each season in the years since, but haven't been the avid watcher I once was. I vowed to follow the show better in its final season. This show is very guilty of offing people right and left. I realize this is a show about an emergency room, but it's the medical staff that keeps dying off instead of its patients for pete's sake.


I realize this is all very petty stuff to get worked up over, but I wasn't in the mood to fret over work and bills today. I'm still pissed that Journeyman wasn't renewed.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

I hear ya! I was totally depressed when Kellie Martin was killed off on ER. I found out though that she had asked to leave the show because her sister had died of Lupus just prior to her starting on the show and it was too difficult for Kellie to be around a hospital set because of that.

I can understand that, but I do wish they had left the door open for her to return.

Unfortunately for the actor who plays Warrick Brown, it was well-known on the set that he has a drug problem and he was arrested in April this year for it. I'm guessing they didn't want him back given that issue.

Still though, I REALLY wish these shows wouldn't kill these people off just in case they can return. I'm with ya on that.