Monday, December 08, 2008

Fascinating

On a dare from a fellow blogger, known as Yankeemom, I thought it would be fun to play along. Barbara Walters recently revealed her annual list of the 10 Most Fascinating People of the Year. There were a few surprises and a few predictable choices. I agree with some of Babs' selections, but not all. In descending order, her list included:

10. Will Smith, actor & rap star
9. Michael Phelps, Most decoratored Olympic swimmer in history
8. Miley Cyrus, singer & television star
7. Tina Fey, comedic actress & writer
6. Rush Limbaugh, conservativeradio commentator
5. Thomas Beatie, the pregnant man
4. Frank Langella, actor
3. Sarah Palin, Governor of Alaska and former VP candidate
2. Tom Cruise, actor
1. Barack Obama, President-elect

Now, comes the fun part. If I were Babs, this is who I would've put on my list of most fascinating over the past year (besides people close to home):

10. Jennifer Hudson
9. Britney Spears
8. Derek & Julianne Hough
7. Angelina Jolie
6. Michael Phelps
5. Paula Deen
4 The Gosselins
3. Barack Obama
2. Nastia Liukin
1. Will Smith


I don't know if the order of my list really matters, but there it is. I struggled a bit with my choices, but it was the best I could do after a looooong day. Anyhow, if you really care to know the reasons behind my selections, read on...



10. Jennifer Hudson - She went from being an American Idol finalist to Oscar gold. She also starred in my favorite summer movie, Sex and the City. Sadly, she also endured a terrible personal tragedy with the shooting deaths of her family. She is someone to keep in your prayers.



9. Britney Spears - Maybe it's because we share a name (and her former hubby shares my DH's moniker), but there is something about this gal that keeps you interested.



8. Derek and Julianne Hough - Dancing with the Stars has become such a big hit, thanks in large part to this brother/sister dynamic duo. Her star is also beginning to rise in the country music arena.



7. Angelina Jolie - I am hetero, but I do find this woman amazing on every level. She has a dark side to her, but I am in awe of her amazing life. I applaud her efforts to raise a "rainbow family" with Brad and her humanitarian activities.



6. Micheal Phelps - Kept the Olympics a thrilling ride for all with his outstanding swimming golds.



5. Paula Deen - This southern belle has hooked me on her down-home cooking show. I always get so hungry every time I watch her whip something up.



4. The Gosselins - Jon & Kate Plus 8 has become one of my favorite shows. It is a family show, complete with the imperfections of reality mixed in. Good stuff.



3. Barack Obama - As the President-elect, how could I not include this trailblazer on my list? He has surprised and inspired so many people on so many levels, even his naysayers have to give him credit where credit is due. He has much to live up to, so I cross my fingers for him that he can deliver.



2. Nastia Liukin - As a second generation gymnast, she won the All-Around gold medal at the Olympics...20 years after her father and coach (Valery Liukin) won the silver for the same event in Seoul, South Korea. Now that's inspiring.



1. Will Smith - This man is oh-so-yummy. He can truly do it all. He is charming, charismatic, and most of all, gracious. Maybe he ought to be the next president, nah...then I couldn't see him flex on the silver screen.



Alright, there's my list. Again, I'm sure there are better choices that occur to me later in my sleep, but that's my top ten off the top of my head.

No comments: