Tuesday, June 19, 2007

At the core...

Well, this heat is really getting to me. I woke up feeling motivated to get of the house with the kids and everything. However, once we were out and about, I began to feel very irritable. I think maybe it was the combination of the heat and my two children bickering. One-on-one, my kids are awesome and well-behaved overall. Together, they can be a challenge. They just needle one another and then the whining kicks in. I get a very short fuse when this happens because I just can't handle all the arguing. It gives me a monster headache, so I end up sending them both to take naps just I can take a break from them. Does that make me sound bad? I love them dearly and adore spending time with them, but oh man can they be a handful at times. I just don't get how people retain their sanity with more kids. I've talked about wanting a third to round out our family, but then days like this remind me that I think we are round enough. For instance, I just finished reading a murder mystery called Desert Wives by Betty Webb. In a nutshell, a murder takes place in a remote, religious compound that practices polygamy. It is an intriguing look into the inner sanctum of plural wives and their husbands. I can't imagine how some of these women can take care of up to 15 children apiece! Granted, maybe it's easier when you have multiple women in the household to act as caregivers, but come on! I would lose it! Pretty good book and good 'ol fashioned mystery that keeps you guessing until the very end. After learning all about the dark side of polygamy, I'll stick with my one hubby and two kids. They are more than enough for me.

Speaking of books, I've been catching up on my summer reading and movie-watching. With most TV shows into rerun season or reality shows I just can't stomach (except for Big Brother...yeah I know), I have been borrowing films and books from the library to keep me occupied in the evening. The kids enjoy the outings and get to pick out books of their own and stuff. I've got a bunch of titles that I am working my way through as time allows. I finally sat down to watch The Core last night. I had wanted to see it forever, but just never had the chance. Anyhow, this movie didn't score well at the box office, but I found it to be pretty good actually. It puts a whole new spin on the "journey to the center of the earth" idea. Makes you really think about just how insane mankind has gotten when comes to caring for Mother Earth. Some people truly believe that we can do whatever we want with no consequences. Movies like The Core and Day After Tomorrow are great reminders of how nature can strike back. Yes, I realize these are extreme fictional accounts, but I don't believe they are too far off the mark with their messages.

Yep, it's another rambling day. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

No you are not bad for sending the munchkins to nap when you need a break. Every mother in the world does that even if they don't admit it.:) No one can deal with bickering children 24/7 and not become irritated.