Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Remembering Felicity

From 1998-2002, I was absolutely in love with the television show Felicity. It was one of those kind of shows that just really struck a cord with me on so many levels. Plus, it was on during a time of major change in my life and served as a great escape when I needed it. For those of you in the dark about this little gem, let me briefly enlighten you to the plotline. In a nutshell, a sheltered honors student leaves her future medical career at Stanford University to attend NYU...for a boy. Though she initially turns her life upside down for Ben, the handsome boy she crushed on throughout high school, she ultimately stays in New York and finds herself in the process. It really was a great coming-of-age drama. The ups and downs of Felicity Porter's life were reminiscent of my own early college days, so I could relate to the character very well. I had only graduated from college a couple of years prior, so many of the experiences were still vivid memories to me...but I digress.

Anyway, so while at the library today, I picked up some additional DVDs to watch. One of them was a Season 1 of Felicity. So I watched the first episode tonight and had forgotten just how much I loved it. Most people have that one show that just hooks them for whatever reason. Sex and the City, Friends, Mad About You, Family Ties, Little House on the Prairie, etc....these are all TV shows that I have loved for one reason or other over the years. I guess what I'm trying to say (however much I may be stumbling over my words) is that Felicity is another one of those touchstone shows for me.

Something else that ups the sentimental value of this show is that it was on during the time when I began dating my future hubby. He indulged me from time to time and watched it with me, probably because he knew how I much I loved it. Ironically, it was sort of felt like a soundtrack to our relationship at times. Surprisingly, after revisiting first episode I realized something very interesting. One of the songs played towards the end was "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. That is 'our song.' In fact, it was our wedding dance song...the first time we ever slow-danced together. This may sound like a stretch, but I am amazed by the foreshadowing there. I never noticed the coincidence of that song being in the first episode and then meeting hubby a couple of months later. Like most songs shared by couples, it became our song in such a natural way that we never even really thought about how. It was just always there and reminded us of each other. Oh, Lloyd Dobbler would be so proud.

Okay, I'm hooked again. That means I'm gonna have go borrow the rest of the series and get to the finale to see them Felicity and Ben wind up together. It's as addictive as waiting for Big and Carrie to finally reunite. Maybe I need to take up golf or something.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

Golf is too expensive...and boring. Stick with Felicity:)