Friday, August 10, 2007

Facing the dragon


Okay, so am I allowed to admit that after the long and fruitful search, I've gotten the job that freaks me out the most? Don't get me wrong, I am excited to get out there and start teaching. However, I am very nervous about instructing 6th graders for my first real teaching assignment. It's gonna be hard enough trying to figure everything out, but having to be "on" all the time with that particular age group is a bit intimidating. I keep telling myself that once I dig in my heels, learn the ropes, and get familiar with the standards...maybe I'll actually surprise myself (at least that's my hope). I just gotta face the dragon, so to speak.

I am supposed to appear confident at all times to the powers that be so that they trust they hired the right person. I am on temporary status as the regular teacher is on leave somewhere and may or may not return. Also, the school is one of two in the district that will be closing. Three new ones will open in new locations. That adds additional pressure to do well so that I can impress the principal enough to take me to his new school or at least recommend me for another opening. I have had about 36 hours or so for this news to sink in. I went to the Goodwill yesterday to pick up a file box. My garage is full of some things that I've been saving over the last couple of years. However, most of my teaching stuff is geared towards primary grades...so I have a lot to accumulate in a short time. I go in next Tuesday to check out my classroom and start thinking about what else I'll need.

Yes, I am truly happy to have this job. It is pretty much what we needed to get back on our feet. It will be an easy commute and the hours are perfect for my personal needs as well. I'm just saying that it won't be a walk in the park and will keep me on my toes I'm sure. We had one other unexpected complication arise. I went to check out a local preschool that I had looked at last fall. They had told me back then that district employees get a childcare discount. Well, yesterday they informed me that it only works as a 3 month introductory discount now. It costs $535 for just 3 days a week (full day) or $408 for 2 full days a week. For us, that is just too much. Thankfully, I found another nearby school that is Montessori-inspired and charges a bit less. We are gonna start our daughter out at this other one for two days a week and go from there. If we find we can afford it, then we may up her to three days a week. We just don't want to overwhelm her for her first school experience. With K starting preschool, N going into first grade, and me in my first year of teaching, busy days lie ahead, that's for sure!

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

It's absolutely ok to be scared! It would be odd if you weren't!! My first days as a lawyer were the same way, it happens to everyone no matter the profession. First year of any new profession is scary and exhilarating.

You will make mistakes and you will have triumphs. You will learn as much as you teach. And those are all good things.