Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Wising Up

Okay, I was channeling David Bowie on the title as it was very fitting. This is the week that all of the staff came back to work. I've been splitting my time between attending trainings, meetings, and working in my classroom. The other teachers are an interesting mix. I've made some good friends with some genuinely nice people that have a sense of humor and are easygoing. Some of the more sassy ones are on the younger side. I am finding I have more in common with the thirtysomethings than the twentysomething set. Maybe I just can't relate or vice versa, but there is a maturity that I like in the staff closer to my age. I went to lunch with three of other new teachers and made a reference to a commercial from my childhood. The twentysomethings kinda just stared and talked about something else. The 31 year old got the reference and traded several funny slogans from past. It felt we each had an inside joke that other just didn't get. It was an odd feeling. Sometimes I wish that old show Thirtysomething was still on because I could finally "get it." I was much too young to fully understand and appreciate the dynamics of that show at the time.


It's true that with age comes wisdom. I know I will one day look back on this time and think how much I still had to learn...we never stop evolving I think. My teaching partner is all of 24 years old. She is a California transplant and is a little salty to work with. We get along, but are just so very different in every way. She is a first year teacher too, but that's where our similarities end. It's hard to explain in writing, but needless to say I am trying very hard to make the best of things.

The building is closing in at the end of the school year, so there is a lot of tension in the building about what the future holds jobwise for everybody. There are a couple of prickly personalities that don't help matters, but most are keeping a positive outlook and handling things well for the kids' sake. I am new, so I have the luxury of not being too attached to the staff or the building. This is part of what keeps me going. A couple of really nice teachers came to shed some light on why the issue is so volatile. I was grateful for their honesty and trust. I hope to gain some valuable experience and not make any waves this year. In short, I don't want anything to do with the toxic nature of the issue. I will land where I land in the end, not much I can do to control what will be.

What I've really struggled with is the layout of my room. Much like when you move into a new home, I can't seem to decide how to best utilize the space. It took me three days the first time around to get it just so...this was two weeks ago. Well, today I decided to rearrange some of my stuff. After tearing my room apart, I realized that certain things just couldn't go anywhere else. I am limited in options due to the phone and computer network outlets, so that made it harder to figure out what to do. I moved stuff here, there, and everywhere. After getting filing cabinets, tables, desk, and bookcase moved...I also took some things down from the wall. What really bugs me about what I did is that I eventually moved the majority of the stuff back to its original spot. I made some good changes, but mostly I ended back up where I started. Go figure.

No comments: