Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Flipping the switch

Well, it has been quite a hectic week. Every free minute was devoted to I finally completed a big portion of my work sample and sent it off to my instructor. He is very particular about the details, so it was a painstaking process. The last several days have consisted of homework, research, and lots of editing. My kids haven't seen much of me, nor has my husband. I took Saturday off to attend a mandatory technology conference and then went over to some friends' house to celebrate three kids' birthdays (including my son's). Then it was back to the grindstone on Sunday for a 9+ hour marathon session.


I'll say this though, I can feel myself actually transforming from a mere mortal into a teacher. The professors say that all the research, theory, and practical experience is meant to be a slow, methodical change. You can truly feel little pieces of the old me fall away and be replaced by newer, more enlightened ones. I know it's a bit of a zen perspective, but I like that. The more I think I know everything there is to learn about teaching, something else comes along and puts me back in my place as that of the student. I've always thought the term Student Teacher was an oxymoron.


Last night, I chatted with a neighbor who finished the same program three years earlier. I hit her up for advice about something and listened to her tales of woe as she has just finally gotten her own classroom. She subbed for two years so she could be there for her baby. It's overwhelming to be a real teacher, let alone becoming one. Yet, today was the first time I felt some real confidence as I taught a mini-lesson to the class. The cooperating teacher had stepped out to do an errand, so I manned the helm for quite awhile. I was lucky that the class is pretty easygoing, something I need for my while I conquer my nerves.


And what's more, I got the aha! moment I had been waiting for since I changed careers. I live for the teachable moments you get with kids and you get to see the lightbulb switch on for them. I sat down with a young girl that struggles with writing and walked her through her narrative paper. She had barely 3 sentences at first and had four paragraphs within a half hour. She's one of those kids that have special needs. While I adore teaching all kids, the struggling ones are especially dear to me. That's the real payback for all this work, getting to flip the switch for kids so they can tap into how bright they really are.


No comments: