Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Little boy lost (again)

Now I can officially say that I have every right to be a raving lunatic at this point, but I've chosen to take the high road of remaining calm. I spoke with the bus driver and instead of ripping him a new one, I politely inquired as to what happened when he dropped my son off with no adult there. He said he assumed there was someone there since there were other adults around and he couldn't be sure which one was there for him. My son had insisted on meeting his grandma and he took his word for it (and yet she wasn't at the stop?). Well, I let it go and asked him to please only let him off if the babysitter is there and he agreed. He seems nice overall, but didn't even get a "sorry" from the guy. Nicky had also left his lunchbox on the bus and at least he saved it out for him and I got it back. Kudos for that much.

Well, I took Nicky to school and saw the principal. She and I had discussed things by phone the previous night and she wanted to come over and reassure me that things would go better today. She instructed Nicky to wait in the cafeteria with the other kids while we chatted. After the bell rang, the kids shuffled off to their classes. Nicky's teacher came to get her class and he was nowhere to be found. I was in the hall with the principal still and was the only one who noticed Nicky was gone. I told the principal and she stayed with the class while I went off in search of him and found him in the library. He had followed the big kids out of the cafeteria and got all turned around and lost. It all turned out okay, but I feel like belting the next person who says "don't worry, it'll be fine." Clearly, I have reasons to be a bit nervous and frazzled. My son has a tendency to wander off and I want the school and his caretakers to be painfully aware of this so that they keep their eyes on him.

My childcare provider is another story. We are discussing options on how to make sure someone is there at all times and so she is working on a system with her daughters on how to make that happen. She said she can't take infants that she watches and that is her issue. I offered to give her my dual stroller so that she can easily cart any infants up the street if need be. I was gonna sell it, but I'd rather give it to her to use and make the situation manageable for all. She agreed to take it. I'm gonna wait and see what happens. I just don't want any more calls telling me "your son is missing." Not what my heart needs right now.

No comments: