Sunday, September 17, 2006

Obsess much?

Okay, I'm officially obsessed with Memoirs of a Geisha. Here goes another blog and hence another plug for the movie. Maybe it's just my personal experiences with Japan that strongly influence my love for this fascinating culture, but it truly is a fantastic film. I finally went out and bought the DVD and we watched it again tonight. It was even better the second time around because I noticed all the little things I had missed the first time. Also, I've read the book and even the "making of" book of photographs and behind-the-scenes tidbits, so I was even more intrigued by all the nuances. It has got to be one of the most stunning and graceful films ever made. I actually swooned during the gratifying ending.

Not only am I a sucker for love stories, I also have a weakness for great cinematography, so Memoirs of a Geisha really ranks high on my list. There are a handful other movies that immediately spring to mind when I think of beautiful cinematography (and a little romance thrown in never hurts). While some may disagree with the following choices, they are simply that, my choices...
  • Sound of Music
  • Titanic
  • Witness
  • Contact
  • LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
  • LOTR: The Two Towers
  • LOTR: Return of the King

I realize this list is very short, I'm thinking of stuff off the top of my head here. Well, it's time to go watch some wholesome family entertainment (a.ka. Family Guy) or maybe I'll just go watch the extras provided on the Memoirs DVD. If you haven't seen it yet, get off your keester and do it already! I wanna have someone to gush with. I'm not big on romance novels, but movies are another story. In the meantime, scroll down to enjoy a few of the photo stills from the movie and heckle me for loving a movie too much.

No comments: