Saturday, September 09, 2006

Not ready to make nice

Well, I thought I was only going to post one blog tonight, but found I needed get something off my chest. My husband and I were watching the Dixie Chicks video for their controversial single "Not Ready to Make Nice," and got to talking about them. He isn't much one for soapbox talk, so I gonna ramble here instead. First and foremost I support the Dixie Chicks 100%. In case you've been living under a rock, I am referring to the incident that occurred back in London. During a 2003 concert, the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks made her infamous comment that was heard 'round the world. She simply said that she "was ashamed the president was from their home state of Texas." This statement was made on eve of our impending war with Iraq. I think the venue in which Natalie Maines chose to air her political views was perhaps a poor choice, but so what?! I thought this was America and the first amendment existed for a good reason.

The president has made regretable remarks and is still forgiven by the right wing masses. We went to war based on the principles of freedom and we seem to be living in hypocrital era of our own. After the Natalie Maines made her feelings known, the backlash began. Suddenly they went from being the most successful female country singers to absolute pariahs in their industry. Radio stations sponsored boycotts of their songs and steamrolled over their CDs. How crazy is that? I'm sorry, but some of these same people that support a war abroad to free the Iraqi citizens are terrorizing their own at home. The Dixie Chicks recieved death threats and hateful fanmail. So they disappeared for three years. They made babies and wrote their music. As they mellowed and grew as artists, the tide of this country has turned a bit in their favor. Many now share the Dixie Chicks views.

I get really worked up about this whole subject. I am a huge fan of them and admire their convictions. They are not apologetic for speaking their minds and won't back down to the industry bullies. That takes courage in my book. I personally support our troops abroad, but wish this war could come to an end. At some point, enough is enough. While I rooted for our invasion of Afghanistan and the dismantling of the Taliban regime, our war in Iraq has seemed more like a sequel to Bush Sr.'s Desert Storm. We are in so deep now there seems to be no end in sight. It's like this generations Vietnam, we are fighting an enemy that we can't see. The original reasons for the invasion were based on hypotheticals and now the president and his cabinet have egg on their face, but can't admit to it. I don't dislike Bush per se, but I don't really respect much of what he does these days either. I used to like his maverick ways and that he didn't like to waste time with bureaucracy, but now he is sort of using it as a shield. The Dixie Chicks didn't kill anyone, they simply spoke from the heart. I know I am rambling on, but I get really passionate about this topic. If you disagree with my views, I completely understand. That's the beauty of living in America, differences make things more interesting. Stepping off my soapbox now...:)

No comments: