Saturday, October 14, 2006

It's all about the kids


Well, if grad school were a baseball diamond I would be rounding second and waving hello to the shortstop. I have so much more to do before sliding into home, but at least it's getting closer. I've completed my first year of classes and am halfway through the current semester. My student teaching placement is coming to a close also. I have four more lessons to teach this week and to finish grading. Lots of work to complete between now and next week, but I'm feeling pretty good about stuff so far. My supervisor gave me a glowing review, not something I was expecting. Maybe we are our own worse critic and don't always see what others can see.

What I have loved most about this process hasn't beent he workload or even getting to teach my strengh...poetry. I have loved getting to know the kids. I couldn't have asked for a better class for my first teaching experience. While they have their quirks like any class, overall they are respectful and enthusiastic. They have really grown on me. I really dread having to say goodbye as I don't think it's hit them yet. My cooperating teacher invited me to come to their Harvest party (the politically-correct version of celebrating Halloween). Of course I said yes.

One great thing that I wanted to do for the kids was to track down an obscure video to show them. Don't remember if I already blogged about this, so bear with me. Once they had been acting out a bit too much so my cooperating teacher got angry and had them put all their heads down. She put me in charge and went to go make copies and cool off. Well, I was a little nervous, so I did thought I'd tell them a story to pass the time. Basically, I just shared my memories of a short film I saw as a kid that really left an impression on me. After hearing the story, they wanted to see this film. Well, at the time I didn't have any information on it. With the help of my natural father and our school librarian, we were able to locate it and will be able to borrow it to show the kids on the day of their Harvest party. It's called "All Summer in a Day" by Ray Bradbury. I can't wait to see their reactions to getting to see this. They will be surprised and excited I hope.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

The kids are going to LOVE this movie!! It made a profound impression on me too. Can't wait to hear about thier reactions.