Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Plain and Simple


My heart literally broke this week when I heard about the terrible massacre at the Amish schoolhouse in Pennsylvania. To think that a man could be so cruel to children just baffles me. I read something in one article that quoted one Amish man as saying to the effect of "the victims are better off than their survivors." The Amish spend their lives preparing for life in the heavenly hereafter. They believe the children are now in a better place while their loved ones must grieve for their losses. Having lived in the Eugene/Springfield area when the shooting at Thurston high school by Kip Kinkel took place many years ago, I get very nervous when there are incidences like this. It's not quick recovery and a community like that in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania will feel this tragedy for years to come. Now I'm not particularly religious, but I think we should all pray for them.

I don't quite understand why the man did what he did. His "grudge" had been festering for a long time, but still doesn't make much sense to me. I can see why he chose the Amish schoolhouse as it lacks security and has no phone. It was the perfect setting for him to carry out his evil. And I'm getting on a soapbox here, but I think that is exactly what he was...EVIL. What person attacks children, let alone Amish children? I believe in the old adage, "honor among thieves." To me, I think that even the most criminally-minded don't cross certain lines. It takes a rare person to be wiling to cross it. If the man upstairs has anything to do with it, then I think he has arranged for there to be a nice hot seat waiting for this person downstairs.

Ever since I was a child and saw the movie Witness, I have been fascinated by and felt a strange kinship with the Amish. Now I'm not talking about the Hollywood take them, but a more personal interest. I have read and researched a number of books and articles on the faith and culture of these gentle people. Over the years, I have come to respect and understand a great deal about the Amish. About a year ago, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I have a bit of Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry as well. Additionally, my grandmother informed me that we have a strong Mennonite heritage, which is sort of the sister faith to the Amish.

On some level, this might explain the peculiar connection I have felt with both faiths for so long. Mennonites tend to accept more of the modern-day conveniences that the Amish shun, but still live their lives to serve the Lord. Many envy the peace and harmony of that the Amish cultivate, but they give up a lot to create the insular community that defines them. That's the great thing about them though, they never have to suffer alone. They come together.

Okay, stepping off my soapbox.

No comments: