Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Earning my way

After several months of working for free, today I officially return to the workforce. While I am not jumping up and down to do sub work, it is a nice change of pace to receive a paycheck for it. I should clarify that I am not working as a teaching sub yet as I need a license for that too, so instead I'm subbing as an instructional assistant like I did last fall for a little while. My degree won't be conferred until my professor turns in my grades and then George Fox has to turn in the necessary paperwork to TSPC. Then I have to submit more paperwork myself. After all said paperwork is in, it takes an another 60-90 days to process my teaching license. At some point they will mail it out to me and I can officially consider a licensed teacher. Only took me 33 years to get to this point...=)



I know lots of professions are full of this kind of stuff, but I find it interesting that there are lots of positions available out there that do not require a teaching license. As I was perusing craigslist.org, I saw numerous ads wanting preschool teachers to apply, but the educational background requirement was miniscule. Now granted, these particular jobs are usually in daycare centers and the pay isn't usually very much. However, I just found it odd that I spent so much time, effort, and money to get my Masters in Teaching when I could've just worked in one of these positions. I comfort myself with the knowledge that it was not a wasted effort in that I can get a job in a school district or a myriad of other places, something I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. Hopefully, the pay will be better too. Who can survive on $8-10/hr with monster student loans to pay back and a family to feed? Now I am not naive enough to think that my MAT will bring a financial windfall, but it should allow me a better start than I've had in the past. An old co-worker of mine has been working with Head Start for awhile now and is proud of the fact that she is also a teacher. She had lots of childcare and social work experience, but hadn't ever taught a class. It worked out that she didn't need the teaching aspect so much as they wanted her social service background. You just never know what you're gonna need. She loves her job and is very good at it. I am hopeful that for the first time in my life, I can say I love my job, earn a good wage, and save for the future all at the same time. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

It's definitely worth it to get your advanced degree! Not only are you going to get paid more, but you will get benefits that aren't usually offered in positions requiring little or no education. Health insurance and 401k contributions come in handy:)